Looking for a home brew kit recommendation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmcc

Reaction score
Hi there, looking to do my first home brew kit, so here's the question, my wife likes Old Speckled Hen and Pedigree, and I like Black Sheep and Hobgoblin, is there anything thats anywhere close to this? Failing that, a nice crisp bitter/ale that a beginner can't mess up?

there's a lot of different beers there! lol.

A lot of people make Wherry, it's a good standard bitter with good flavour but a great all round pleaser too, not too strong and not too heavy. Avoid the Sundew made by the same company.

DSCF2477.JPG

Failing that Coopers make an English Bitter that should tick all of the boxes. Don't be afraid to spend a few extra quid on a kit, the quality difference is massive and it's a few quid for 40 great pints instead of 40 decent ones :)

I'd go for Admiral's Reserve, made by Woodfordes, the same people that make Wherry. Downside compared to the Wherry is it's 32 pints not 40. Upside is it's stronger & fuller flavoured. From the beers you say you like you seem to like beers around the 5% mark I reckon the AR will be more to your taste than the Wherry.

It was my first brew after a 20 year break and it impressed me.

Any of the Muntons 2 can kits are extremely good. I can recommend the "Muntons Gold Imperial Pale Ale" and the "Muntons Premium Gold Smugglers Special Ale". They do cost a bit more but you don't need to add anything to the kits and I reckon they produce fantatic tasting Beer! :party:

Erl :drink:

I would recomend a woodfordes nelsons revenge.
It's my best pint "ever" :thumb:

..... then there's the St.Peters Red Ruby Ale, the betterbrew IPA's, Coopers Heritage Bitter...... ooh so many beers.... so little time....

then there's the stouts.... Dark Ales and Black Ales, Lagers and .....

Go to a well stocked home brew shop stand in front of the shelves shut your eyes and grab one....

( then apologise to the lady shopkeeper and grab a beer kit instead....) :D

I would try brupaks either linthwaite light or fixby gold both are excellent and easy to do. Everything you need is in the box no need for any extra sugar or Dme.

Woodfordes Wherry - A great tasting beer, especially with the Wherry Tweak found on this site.

Steve

piddledribble said:
..... then there's the St.Peters Red Ruby Ale

+1 for the Ruby Red Ale - best kit I ever made and a firm favourite of a kit brewer friend of mine - loved by both him and his Mrs :drink:

Thanks everyone, I will aim to try all your recommendations in turn! Phew this is going to hurt :drunk:

Back