looking for something similar to birds and the bees

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otate

Reaction score
hi,

I have just started having a go at malt extract brewing and I am looking for ideas for my next brew. I particulary like Williams bros birds and bees at the moment so can anybody suggest a recipe that might give me something similar?

On the williams bros website it lists 'pale malt, cascade and bobek hops with a late infusion of fresh elderflowers and lemon zest'. it also lists Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin hops

Any malt extract recipe that can give me something in that style of beer would be much appreciated!

looks like a cracker. is the hop flavour very intense?

its a pretty intense beer schedule wise. i would think any american IPA recipe would suffice, but it's difficult to do unless you have a full size boil. I think you could get away with Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin for hops, they have high bittering qualities so you could use plenty of late hops. bobek are pretty **** anyway. you want additions at 60, then at 15/10/5/0, as much as you can fit in really!

use a tonne of dry hops too, and you'll be on the way. add elderflower and lemon zest this way too, make sure you sanitize them and remove the pithe from the lemon.

leave the wheat out, it's for head and not strictly neccessary.

RobWalker said:
leave the wheat out, it's for head and not strictly neccessary.

I'd have thought it was for a Scottish beer...?

But then if you're doing extract I can see why that would be a pain. As you were... :thumb:

Many thanks for the reply. As I am still new to this Amy chance you could explain a couple of things-
What sort of quantity hops should I start out with?
how much dry hops and what type?
Likewise, what sort of quantity or lemon and elderflower would be a good starting point if I was doing a 25 litre batch?
Finally, would 3kg of liquid pale malt extract be a good starting point?
I know I won't get it spot on first time but all advice much appreciated !

I'm keen on this too, my mate is getting married and I promised him a couple of brews for it. He has specified some thing Birds & Bees style'ee.

how do you sanitise elder flowers? I was thinking of dry hopping with a heap of them.

It's a cracking beer, lovely fresh hoppy pale ale, perfect on a hot summer's afternoon with a BBQ. Might have a go at brewing this myself.

Back