Lowicz Raspberry for priming for Raspberry Wheat Beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebKerman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am about to make this recipe from Beersmith, but wanted to ask advice on the priming.

3 Gallon Raspberry Witbier

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
4 lbs 8.00 oz Pilsner (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM)
4 lbs 8.00 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.4%] - Boil 60 min
1 pkgs WB06 yeast
1.00 kg Raspberries (Frozen) (Primary 5 days)
4.00 oz Raspberry Extract (Bottling 5 min)

The 4oz of Raspberry extract... How would you guys go about doing this?

I was thinking mixing a priming solution with Lowicz raspberry (possibly diluting a half a bottle up to 500ml) but wanted to see if you guys had any experience of this type of priming, or if you think this will be OK

Cheers

I believe some of the people who make cider on this forum use the syrups to prime. So it’s certainly possible. I wouldn’t bother diluting it, just use the right amount once you figure out the priming sugar you need.

I believe some of the people who make cider on this forum use the syrups to prime. So it’s certainly possible. I wouldn’t bother diluting it, just use the right amount once you figure out the priming sugar you need.

Therein lies a second problem... I don't know how to calculate priming volume...

Any help with this?

There’s a calculator linked somewhere on this site, you put in the volume of beer, carbonation level desired and fermentation temperature and it gives you the amount of sugar needed for carbonation. The syrup bottle will tell you the percentage of sugar, I think they are very high, around 70g per 100ml. So if you needed 50g of sugar you’d need 50/0.7= 71ml of syrup. You’re obviously adding a very small amount of liquid too, but you’d do that if dissolving sugar in the normal way so I would ignore the effect of that.

Edit to add link

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

There’s a calculator linked somewhere on this site, you put in the volume of beer, carbonation level desired and fermentation temperature and it gives you the amount of sugar needed for carbonation. The syrup bottle will tell you the percentage of sugar, I think they are very high, around 70g per 100ml. So if you needed 50g of sugar you’d need 50/0.7= 71ml of syrup. You’re obviously adding a very small amount of liquid too, but you’d do that if dissolving sugar in the normal way so I would ignore the effect of that.

Edit to add link

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Brilliant. Thanks

Back