Luckyeddie reporting for duty...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckyeddie

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks.

Long term home brewer and alcoholic checking in for the first time.

I've been producing falling-over water at home for 30 or so years - always kits, but Santa brought me a brand new boiler/mash tun and a wort chiller at Christmas.

I've just been out to buy some grain, hops and various bits and bobs and will be starting my first all-grain brew tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it like a kid looking forward to his first visit to the zoo.

Stand easy that soldier... :clap:

Welcome Ed...well if you've been brewing for that long....I may be asking you the Q's sunshine :whistle:

Moley said:
luckyeddie said:
Confusing - you are using Lucky Eddie as your avatar.
Read his user name through a mirror. ;)

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

OK - clever. Reminds me of the kind on thing I used to do when I got my first ever Sinclair Scientific calculator back in the 1970's, Writing calculations where the result would come to 58008, 71077345 and the like.

Anyway, back to the present. I realised at 4:00 this afternoon that I didn't have any hop boiling bags, and I don't want to clog up my nice new boiler's tap with hops - well, not on the first brew anyway. A quick trip over to Matchless Homebrew (free advertising - I hope he knocks a quid off my next shopping bill for that) sorted that out - a nice big piece of muslin. Now to see if I can sweet-talk the missus into stitching it into a bag.

Dieseljockey said:

Welcome Ed...well if you've been brewing for that long....I may be asking you the Q's sunshine :whistle:

Aye. Started when all you could get was Tom Caxton and Geordie - and for a decade or so that was it. Not great, but it still beat the swill that was on sale in pubs in the 1970's. Then I started working away from home and sort-of lost the hands-on opportunity to brew. I started again in 1999 after Punch Taverns (spit) bought out the Firkin chain and closed all their micro-breweries, thus cutting off my daily supply of Dogbolter.

Then I discovered that David Bruce had arranged for EDME to manufacture Dogbolter kits under licence, so I dug out the old barrel, bought fermenters and airlocks etc and started again. Then - THE HORROR - EDME stopped doing the Dogbolter kits.

A holiday in Brugge in 2005 revealed a whole new world to me - the world of Trappist and Abbey Beer. Well, I draw the line at taking Holy Orders, so I dug around on the Internet and found a supplier of Brewferm kits. All I can say is 'WOW!!!'

But you know how these things go. There's always the thought that, with kits, you are still drinking the beers the kit manufacturers want you to drink. Even their Tripel, which is a magnificent brew, just lacks something. So here we are. All-grain - the last bastion of the true 'beer snob' who wants to out-Chimay Chimay (Chimay White is my all-time favourite 'bought' beer).

Wish me luck.

Welcome aboard :thumb:

I've been producing falling-over water at home for 30 or so years - always kits, but Santa brought me a brand new boiler/mash tun and a wort chiller at Christmas
:party: that's a whole lot better than the usual socks :clap:
've just been out to buy some grain, hops and various bits and bobs and will be starting my first all-grain brew tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it like a kid looking forward to his first visit to the zoo.
Good luck with the brew :thumb:

Vossy1 said:
Welcome aboard :thumb:

I've been producing falling-over water at home for 30 or so years - always kits, but Santa brought me a brand new boiler/mash tun and a wort chiller at Christmas
:party: that's a whole lot better than the usual socks :clap:

You have to have a positive outlook on life.

I DID get some socks, and said "Great! Mini-sparging bags".

Then again, I'm the kind of bloke who, if given a bucket of horse-droppings for Christmas, would spend half an hour digging through them optimistically, looking for the pony.

luckyeddie said:
Dieseljockey said:

A holiday in Brugge in 2005 revealed a whole new world to me - the world of Trappist and Abbey Beer. Well, I draw the line at taking Holy Orders, so I dug around on the Internet and found a supplier of Brewferm kits. All I can say is 'WOW!!!'

So here we are. All-grain - the last bastion of the true 'beer snob' who wants to out-Chimay Chimay (Chimay White is my all-time favourite 'bought' beer). Wish me luck.

Now your talking...praise the beer Gods for Chimay, and trappist in general...love um all :pray: :pray:
back in Sept we had to travel over there and I sat down one evening and partook of these two little gems..

Leffe.jpg

Back