made an error.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe soup

Reaction score
Somehow managed to leave my brewbelt switched off last night and today. Temp dropped to 14oc. Only noticed about 9pm tonight. Its 6 days in and seemed to be going really well. Now the bubbles have stopped and most of the pressure has gone. Is it likely to be ok if i get it back to 20? I think its stalled the fermentation. I just dry hopped with the last of my Amarillo and simcoe last night.

It'll be fine, the ferment has more than likely done now, but can be confirmed with the hydrometer.

14°C is slightly warmer than the temperature at with ale yeast tends to go dormant (i.e. 13°C) so your beer may be fine. Of course, the dormant temperature is an average value so your yeast may or may not have gone dormant on you.

I suspect the yeast may have finished metabolising all the sugars they're going to but that is just a guess.

Just to be certain you should take a hydrometer reading and compare that value to what one would expect from the apparent attenuation of your particular yeast strain.

You could simply warm your fermenter and beer up to about 20°C and see if there are any signs activity in the next few days but with the extended cool temperatures they may have gone dormant and settled out. Rousing them of the bottom should help if that is indeed the case but at this point in really need to know where you stand with respect to the extent to which fermentation has taken place.

- Scott

Cheers fellas. Ist back up to 18oc now and has started bubbling away again so hopefully wont see any negative effects.
Going to take a reading tonight as it is a week today that I put it on. Quick taste too perhaps.

From what I know -and this isnt a lot yet- if its cold they just go to sleep as mentioned so when you warm it up they should get back to work.

Latest posts

Back