Made my first cider last night

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phettebs

Landlord.
Reaction score
I used 4 USgal of apple cider (unfiltered apple juice with no additives in the US) and 1 gal of spiced apple cider. To that, I added 2lbs of turbinado sugar. Pitched a packet of Nottingham and it was bubbling today. I plan to keg it for the holidays.

Barry

Been too busy with beer to tackle a "hard" cider. As an FYI, if you order an apple cider here in the US, you'll get a glass of unfiltered and maybe unpasteurized apple juice that is murky and brown.

If you order a hard cider, you'll get a fermented apple beverage. So when we talk about making a hard cider here, we mean cider like you do in the UK.

Nice one Barry :thumb:

Thinking about doing one myself (wife loves cider so think I better do one, keep her sweet : ;) )

Do you just basically get some apple juice from the supermarket and just shove some yeast in? I assume its the same as beer from then on?

:cheers:

Nice one we have 3 gallon bubbling now apple,cranberry, and blackcurrant. God knows how they will turn ouy will let you know when the taste test is :D

paulpj26 said:
Do you just basically get some apple juice from the supermarket and just shove some yeast in? I assume its the same as beer from then on?

:cheers:

That's pretty much what I did. Like I said, I used what we call apple cider instead of apple juice. I added some sugar to boost the OG and then just pitched re-hydrated Notty.

I'll have the wife taste it once it's done fermenting. I may add some tea for tannins and/or some canned apple juice concentrate when I keg it.

Barry

Back