Magnum Cider oops slip up!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easyriderbj

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just started brewing and im loving it so far as ive made my own sloe gin and coopers lager, its my first go at cider and i bought the magnum cider kit however i made an error! i added the yeast and flavouring at the same time instead of waiting until i go to pressure barrel the cider

Will this ruin my life? or can i see how it goes?
Im guessing the flavouring may have some effect on the yeast but how much?
Should i just leave it longer in the fermenter or barrel than it suggests?

Please let me know
Thanks Easy B

Hi there I think adding your flavour 2 your fermenting stage wont make a diffference as its just a concentrate of more sugar n things as flavour?? ferment out in your bucket at room temp and w8 4 it 2 stop fermenting using a hydrometer at 995. the barrel wen fermenting should not be pressurised u only use this stage wen ready 2 drink// serve keep fizzy?? good luck with it and keep brewing itsace and i started last year done gallons of stuff lager cider wine etc keep at it ok

when do the instructions tell you to add the flavouring sachet? i brewed a raspberry beer kit and it advised to add the flavourings after about 10 days. wait till its fermented out, give it a taste and see whats what. if the flavouring has disappeared then get some raspberry or strwbaerry essence( or whatever flavour of brew it was) and add that.
one thing for sure, your life isnt ruined, calm down dear, its only a brew.

I tried that kit and hated it, but I don't like to throw things away so I decided to try my hand at making cider vinegar - which is a very useful commodity when you make your own chutney. But the big mistake I think I made was to add the stabiliser, which is doing it's job of slowing down the conversion to vinegar. So, if you don't like the taste when it's finished fermenting and fancy the idea of a few bottles of cider vinegar, don't add the stabiliser!

Thanks guys very helpful responses, gona check out the situation tommorow as i think its due to come out the bucket- will report back.

Thanks again.........now alot calmer ........

Ok i have had the cider in the pressure barrel for over a week now and i tried a small amount today, at the moment the cider has a nose somwhere between sour apples and sulpher, its not a stench just a wiff. Taste is very clean but without much punch? Will the nose dissapear in time and will the cider gain its taste and punch in time?

Or can i add anything at this stage to aid the taste?

Or the next time i brew a cider batch is there any extras i can add to enhance flavour?

Thanks again guys and gurls

There seems to be mixed opinions about the Magnum Cider Kits. I have wanted to try one for a while but I really don't want to waste fifteen quid.

To me, after reading various threads, they seem to be on a par with one of those crappy John Bull cider kits with a strawberry flavouring.

I might be wrong, but can anybody really say if they are worth the money.

Latest posts

Back