make wine with cider yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterboy

Reaction score
can you make wine with cider yeast (youngs for eg) if thats all youve got? im tempted to try one of these wow varients or ribena etc. but only have a couple of cider yeast sashets.

if not why not? loads of info wanted please. newbie here. :cheers:

i can't see why you can't the way i see it is that all yeasts no matter what variety are still yeasts! it'll still make alcohol but the taste may be difference, the speed of fermentation and the alcohol % yield will depend. i think some cider yeasts struggle going past 11% when some wines can reach 15% (correct me if i'm wrong anyone). so yeah, you can use them but be careful with the ammount of sugar you put in. its always better to wait a day and get some different yeast sachets tomorrow.. (although even i find it hard to wait!)

Cheers

Andy

The main differences between the Yeast strains at the amount of alcohol they can take before giving up and the speed they ferment from what I understand.

Im not sure if a Yeast designed for Cider will be able to survive at a high Alcohol %.

Do you not fancy trying Ribena Cider or Vimto Cider at least that way you know your making something the yeast can handle.

Worst case senario I guess you could end up with your wine being a slightly lower ABV % to what you were expecting and as a result it will be sweeter due to the left over sugar.

Cheers

Marrsy

Peapodmaster said:
its always better to wait a day and get some different yeast sachets tomorrow.. (although even i find it hard to wait!)

a day!! Ha! i wish! i live in greece so would have to wait a little longer for them to get to me!

its ok tho, im patient ;)

Marrsy86 said:
Do you not fancy trying Ribena Cider or Vimto Cider at least that way you know your making something the yeast can handle.

YES YES YES i do, please dont tempt me, i was trying to do something nice for my wife as she doesnt like cider!! ill just wait for some wine yeast, get the wine started, then swiftly move on to being selfish again. mwoohoo ha ha :twisted:

Well i just "pop" down to my "local" store.. (which is 3 miles away and i have no transport.. so its not that bad). i always stock up on yeasts. at the moment i have 2 champagne yeasts and 1 cider. maybe a re-start somewhere, i need to get some more soon. or may just start using my General purpose yeast.

patience isn't just a virtue. its a must have in this line of "work"

Yeah, its like a yeast which restarts other yeasts.. (i think) but i just chuck it in even after things still wont ferment from the stiring of the FV

Peapodmaster said:
or may just start using my General purpose yeast.

I have been using the Youngs Super Yeast Compound for my past few brews and from what I have seen on here and the internet it can be used to make brews go upto around 20%!!!

Finding that out gave me some ideas for things to try :twisted:

I dont have that at my local brewing shop.. i will need to go out of my way 25 miles away to get something like that i recon. do you have any idea what the % yield is with youngs general purpose yeast ?

Waterboy said:
can you make wine with cider yeast (youngs for eg) if thats all youve got? im tempted to try one of these wow varients or ribena etc. but only have a couple of cider yeast sashets.

if not why not? loads of info wanted please. newbie here. :cheers:
It's been mentioned on here before that Youngs cider yeast is the same as the Youngs Champagne yeast, just in a different packet. I've used champagne yeast for a couiple of wines, they turned out pretty good.

Back