Mandarine Bavaria Single hop additions help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystal_Ball

Reaction score
Based on a previous Greg Hughes single hop pale ale recipe the grain I'm going to use is
4.7kg pale malt
0.235 kg Carapils malt

I have 100g of Mandarine Bavaria AA 6.4% that i intend to use all of in this recipe.
So what are the thoughts on the additions? Im always in favour of a hoppy ale so I'm happy to miss the start of the boil additions if necessary.

The single hops ales in GH's book are all 60/15/5/0 additions so you perhaps follow that. The cascade single hop reciepe has the cascade at 6.6%AA so you could follow the amounts from that particular one. As you've only got 100g of hops just do 60:41g/15:20g/5:20g/0:10g.
Or you could go 60/0 addition

I know this isn't quite single hop but I would be tempted to use a little bit of dedicated bittering hops to build up 10 or 20 IBUs at 60 mins. Then split the Mandarine Bavaria into 5 equal additions at 20, 15,10, 5, 0. I think that although not single hop it would showcase the hop well by utilizing as much as possible in the late additions.

The single hops ales in GH's book are all 60/15/5/0 additions so you perhaps follow that. The cascade single hop reciepe has the cascade at 6.6%AA so you could follow the amounts from that particular one. As you've only got 100g of hops just do 60:41g/15:20g/5:20g/0:10g.
Or you could go 60/0 addition

I currently have this in the FV fermenting at the moment as is just about ready to bottle. Actually isn't that pungent considering there are 144grams of cascade in it! Hopefully it will develop over time.

I know this isn't quite single hop but I would be tempted to use a little bit of dedicated bittering hops to build up 10 or 20 IBUs at 60 mins. Then split the Mandarine Bavaria into 5 equal additions at 20, 15,10, 5, 0. I think that although not single hop it would showcase the hop well by utilizing as much as possible in the late additions.

Other hops I have:
Progress - 75g
Atlas - 48g
Challenger - 27g
Mount Hood - 67g
Cascade - 35g
Amarillo - 8g
Chinook - 45g

10 grams of Chinook should get you about 15 IBUs at 60 mins in the boil. That would free up the Mandarine Bavaria to use in late additions. I don't think the 10 grams would change the flavor, just add bitterness.

I don't know what your target bitterness is but if you run it all through an Ibu calculator you can adjust the amount of Chinook to dial in the IBUs where you want them.

Latest posts

Back