Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat 1st try

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

gtm

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie in Homebrewing and i am doing my first try with a bavarian Wheat of Mangrove Jacks. I have done whole the process correct i believe and i want to ask some questions.
I am in 13th day of fermentation. I still have bubbles (1 every 10 minutes).
Are the bubbles a criterion for the completion of the fermentation?
Is this the time to take a SG reading in order to check if i am in the desired one? If i am not mistaken the SG reading should be the same for 48 hours in order to assume i am ready
Is it normal for the fermentation to take so long? The temperature is about 20 degrees constant

Thanks

UKSkydiver

Brew-ha-ha
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will probably get some better / considered / more exprt opinion, but let me have a bash.

If it's still bubbling, there is a very good chance that the yeast it still working on the sugars and producing CO2. I would say most of mine are done from day 10, but equally, I have had a couple of brews that have gone over 14 days, just let it carry on.

Conversely, the lack of bubbles also does not prove that fermentation has completed. I don't know what equipment you have, but assuming a plastic bucket type fermenter, they are often not fully airtight, so gases can escape via means other than the airlock when fermentation is still active.

Using a hydrometer is the best method of establishing when fermentation is complete; I normally take reading on days 11, 12, 13 and if they're all the same, fermentation is complete. If your airlock is still bubbling I'd wait 3-5 days before doing this.

chthon

Landlord.
Reaction score
One bubble every ten minutes is just gases coming out of dissolution in the beer. I have used the MJ20 several times, and it ferments out rather fast. Also, since this is a hefeweizen, it can bottled after 7 days, with 14 days bottle conditioning, or after 14 days, with 1 week bottle conditioning.

Bottle it with 8g/l, or if you have sturdy bottles, with 10g/l, let it rest for a week, cool one in the fridge for 24 hours, ready to drink.

gtm

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Today after 15 days of fermentation i took a reading of SG and it is in 1006. If after a couple of days is the same, do you thing i can bottle the beer?

damienair

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Today after 15 days of fermentation i took a reading of SG and it is in 1006. If after a couple of days is the same, do you thing i can bottle the beer?
Yes. At 1.006 I would say that you are done. If it was the same today I would bottle away. Good luck. I did the Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat beer a month ago and just moved it down to the garage this evening. I’ll leave it for another month. I’m looking forward to trying this beer. I love a wheat beer.

damienair

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello again,

My first beer is a fact. Wish me luck for the result. I hope everything goes fine.
Good luck. I’m sure it will be delicious. I’m really looking forward to mine.

Reactions: gtm