Marshmallow stout recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
I’ve been wanting to do a marshmallow stout for ages now! Does anyone have any experience with this? My thoughts are that any marshmallows added to the boil will just add to overall sugar that will be 100% fermented out? Is it a case of using marshmallow flavouring?
Can anyone recommend a recipe? I kind of liked the idea of blowtorching my own marshmallows and just dropping them in the boil lol

I did this last year, tried to make a s'more style beer. It didn't turn out great. Much boozier than I intended, and I didn't get the thick mallo vibes I was initially going for.

I toasted them in the oven until they would have been good dipping and eating colour and texture and then added to the end of the boil. By the time it came to drinking I presume it all fermented out. With very little mallow coming through. I also added caco nibs and lactose and biscuit and caramel malts but nothing gelled together into something I was particularly proud of. Not overtly bad. But not ideal.

If I was to go again i would add more of what you perceive as mallow, like vanilla and maybe some burnt sugar along with anything to boost mouth feel.

Others may have had a better shot at it than I bit I felt that I had missed the mark.

Back