Maturation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbowden

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All,
i've recently done my first AG (Hurrah!) and it was an Adnams clone. After fermentation a day or so after kegging i tried some just to check ;) and it did'nt taste great :sick: I thought that it was off! Anyway i left it a few more days and tried again. Still very sour tasting although now it was a bit more like bitterness. I kept trying it evryday as i was sure it was off and aslo because about 1/2 an hour after each tasting i felt sick! :sick:
I was a bit annoyed, especially as it was my first AG so i left it to start a few kit beers :evil:
Well, its been about 4 weeks now since its been in the keg and WOW what a difference! The sour/very bitter taste has changed to a more rounded Adnams style bitterness and no sick feeling :party:
So my question is how long should we leave beer for its best taste (bitters not stouts) and how long do breweries let their beers mature for? :hmm:

Most breweries produce running beers, From FV to cask to pub as quickly as possible . . . Apparently Beer tastes best fresh :wha: A good general rule of thumb is to store the beer for a week for every 10 points of original gravity. so a 1040 beer should be stored for 4 weeks . . . minmum. . . . However there is nothing to say that they cannot be drunk earlier than that :whistle: Indeed the way the beer taste changes with time is interesting to note.

I've an imperial Stout that I have been maturing for 12 months so far, and based on the QC sample I had a couple of weeks ago, it needs around another year.

to get the beer in condition is there a minimum temperature for the yeast to work?

Its getting colder now... what do the brewery's do?

I brought a keg to the house a while back to lift the temperature and had a spillage through to much gas.

I would like to be sure it will condition outside in the shed

Latest posts

Back