What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just left Sussex on the southern tour where it would been sacrilege not to have a Harveys Best Bitter!
20240429_131628.jpg

I had a couple of pints of Sussex Best in the pub and then picked up this 5-Points Best on the way home. I’ve seen @dave_77 with a bottle a few times and have been meaning to try it because it uses the same ingredients as my own best bitter. The 5-Points version is lighter in colour, is less malty, and is a lot more bitter. Quite a nice contrast given the same ingredients but I would say the bitterness is maybe a touch too assertive.

IMG_6532.jpeg

I had a couple of pints of Sussex Best in the pub and then picked up this 5-Points Best on the way home. I’ve seen @dave_77 with a bottle a few times and have been meaning to try it because it uses the same ingredients as my own best bitter. The 5-Points version is lighter in colour, is less malty, and is a lot more bitter. Quite a nice contrast given the same ingredients but I would say the bitterness is maybe a touch too assertive.

View attachment 98982
That's interesting, The Malt miller do a clone kit which I was thinking about trying. Maybe I'll reduce the bittering hop.

Now a Gadd's Green Hop Ale at our friend's house.View attachment 98989
I love Gadd's dog bolter, I remember back in the 90s you could get a Bruce's dog bolter extract kit.
I spoke too a brewer from Gadd's at a promotion at my local garden centre, he said he'd worked at Bruce's back in the day and it was the same recipe.

My brown porter, much darker than expected (45ebc). But so was my mild. Common denominator is black malt (1300). Both 3% of the grist.

It could also be the black malt given it a distinct flavour like the mild. Slightly harsh, hints of liquorice and burnt toffee.

Good news is it didn’t gush, as I pitched some notts to finish the job Windsor couldn’t do!
7A2FFD02-C688-4773-B777-A6ABCEF82B90.jpeg

Back