Mead and Red wine concotion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anbhás

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I couldn't make my mind up wheter to brew up a red wine or a honey wine so I decided to try both.
I haven't started yet so I'm looking for suggestions before I do. Here's a picture of the ingredients:

Details (from left to right):

Still bottled water
Young's dessert high/alcohol yeast
1kg Dark brown soft sugar
Young's yeast nutrient
908 grams honey
100g Dried cranberries
2 Ltr Red grape juice

My first thought was “a bit more honey and a bit less sugar” but I like the sound of that and think I might have to give it a try :thumb:

This sounds like a lovely mix, I would be really interested to see how this goes!
Good luck!

Well here I go!
I had to much and put some in a cup... it was like syrup and anything it touched it stuck to.

SG 1140 so it has the potential to be 19.4% I just hope it tastes good.

Now we wait :hmm:

Secondary fermentation after racking it. I don't think I will do this again, it seems to be immune to vinclear and has turned brown. I doesn't look healthy at all but apart from looks I am 95% sure it's ok to drink and probably sweet and tasty.

imag0406.jpg

imag0407d.jpg

It's been fermenting vigourously since the 9th of april, and as I sit here now it still produces a bubble every 2 seconds

Well it's done now! It has become very sweet rocket fuel and I'd rate it at 6.5/10. The alcohol content has come out to about 18% and it's most distinctive feature is clashing flavours. It isn't bad but I wouldn't make it again. It seems to have left a lot of sediment too.

imag0579.jpg

Back