Meantime IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Ed

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is planned for Sat or Sun, and the recipe comes from Mitch Steele's book IPA and I'm hoping that it is better than the real thing, I was a bit underwhelmed by the bottle I tried the other week tbh.

Because of the amount of hops, 470g including dry hops, and a 23L brew length, I'm lowering my efficiency and I'm planning to collect 36L pre boil.

Recipe is Pale, Munich, Pale Crystal and Sugar
Hops are Fuggles and Goldings; a shed load FWH, a bit more than a shed load at 5mins, a shed load at flame out and steeped for 20mins, and a normal amount for dry hopping.

I'm not doing the stepped mash, but 66C for 90mins, boil is 75mins, and using WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast, 4.5L starter to get ~280bn cells. Water CaCO3 to 60ppm and Ca to 75ppm with CaSO4

OG 1067; FG 1012; IBU 75; ABV 7.4%; EBC 14.3

That's a lot of hops. I don't think I used that much for my massive IIPA and it is a challenging beer.

What's the schedule?

Yes it is a lot, but that's how the historical IPA's were, loads of hops. I can't really publish the recipe because it is copyright to Mitch Steele's book, the same way for GW's book, so I would recommend to buy it. I'm planning another couple from his book next month, Seaforth IPA from Thornbridge (no longer brewed) but along traditional lines, and Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA from the West Coast Ca, along West Coast lines. Firestone Walker's brewer Matt Brynildson, ex Goose Island before moving to Ca, is apparently the only brewer in the US to use a modified version of the Burton Union system, I'll just be using a plastic bucket ;) .

Well for Meantime IPA hops, FWH there is 60IBU with 16IBU at 5mins and the rest are at flame out and dry hopping. I'm winging it a bit with quantities as that many hops can soak up a lot of wort, I might know better after sparging, but we'll see :D

With the copyright issue, I contacted Graham Wheeler a little while back on behalf of the forum and he had no problem anyone on the forum repeating any of his recipes providing he was credited and no one tried to make any profit.

Good Ed said:
I can't really publish the recipe because it is copyright to Mitch Steele's book

Maybe just the amounts and boil times? That wouldn't give anything away...

Cussword said:
How'd the boil go?

still going, I was going to do 75mins, but now I am extending it another 10mins as I still haven't got all the wort in the boiler, (I keep the excess in a pan on the stove boiling away separately) and I still have a shed load of hops to add, I did think this would happen though ;)

so ended up with 24.5L at 1063, so didn't really need so much pre boil volume, but happy enough :D

this is what 440g of hops look like in a 30L bucket :shock:

this is what 440g of hops look like in a 30L bucket :shock:

[/quote]

Hahahahahaha!!! Brilliant!!

That should be a stonker of a beer. :thumb:

There is a podcast on the brewing network from the Jamil Show on this here. The brew was not 'cloned' mainly due to not paying attention on the brewday and the yeast is notty IIRC.

Worth a listen and the porter recipe is supposed to be great too.

EDIT * and the recipe is also here

I'll have a listen to the Jamil Show, I get a lot of information and recipes from his podcasts.

The recipe in Mitch Steele's book is from discussions with Alastair Hook and Peter Haydon at Meantime, and the grain bill in the recipe you posted is spot on, however this beer has an IBU of about 75 not 30 as in the recipe you posted. 30 IBU's for a beer like this is totally out of wack. If you look at what I posted above use equal IBU's of Fuggles and EKG for FWH to give 60 IBU and equal of the same at 5mins to give 16 IBU, then a load of each at flame out and 1g/L of each for dry hopping. The yeast is anybody's choice but using something like WLP007 will give a bit more flavour than Notty.

The beer is going nicely and I'm planning on dry hopping this w/e.

I have a Meantime recipe that came from the brewers ( could have been that podcast ? ) and that also says 75 IBU :thumb:

It does sound very similar to what you have done ( which is should if both of these came from Meantime themselves ) , did you also push a warmer ferment, as they use Notty fermented at 22c apparently

Latest posts

Back