Mini keg advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello,

Having only ever bottled my beer, I want to upgrade and give kegging a try.

From a quick search, there are a few options. I brew small batch 8ish litre BIAB brews, so I only need a small setup. I have seen a few 5 litre growler style kegs, this size would enable me to keg the majority and bottle what's left. I have been looking at this sort of thing:

Home Brew Draught Beer System 5L Mini Keg & CO2 dispenser + FLOW CONTROL TAP - Dark Farm or 5L MiniKeg Party Kit

Both of these models seem similar, but have slight variations. Does anyone have an opinion, or could advise me of a similar setup?

Also, I just want to make sure I understand how these sort of kegs actually work.... Basically, you can add sugar and secondary ferment your beer in the keg, then use the pressurised co2 cartridge to force the beer out. Or, you can force carbonate the beer (which I am still not totally sure how that works), do you need to secondary ferment if you force carbonate?

Also, If down the line I were to buy another 5L keg, could I use both without having to buy a second regulator, tap etc?

Would be grateful for any advice, even if its to suggest a different kegging system, of if you have used any of the kegs I have posted.

Thanks guys

Personally waiting for the 5L BKT kegs to come back in stock. Should be Thursday. This would be my preference based on price.

You could prime in the keg and accept the little bit of sediment on the first pour or two (I'd imagine) or you could force carb using bulbs (could get expensive)

As for using two kegs down the line. You would need to swap the spear from one keg to the other. They come with a cap the spear /dispense attachment is separate.

Based on your batch size this is probably right for you. You can get corny kegs reconditioned for 55 quid or less but that's for 19litres so excessive for your needs. The smaller you go on corny kegs... Surprisingly the more expensive they get!

I've got a few 12litre cornys but want to keg the remaining of my no sparge batches that are surplus. I just don't like bottling at all but always have a few spare incase of the need

Personally waiting for the 5L BKT kegs to come back in stock. Should be Thursday. This would be my preference based on price.

You could prime in the keg and accept the little bit of sediment on the first pour or two (I'd imagine) or you could force carb using bulbs (could get expensive)

As for using two kegs down the line. You would need to swap the spear from one keg to the other. They come with a cap the spear /dispense attachment is separate.

Based on your batch size this is probably right for you. You can get corny kegs reconditioned for 55 quid or less but that's for 19litres so excessive for your needs. The smaller you go on corny kegs... Surprisingly the more expensive they get!
Thanks for that,

Yes, I thought the BKT keg seemed like good value. I see they do a few tap options, I will have to see which one looks the best. I shall keep an eye out on Thursday.

How long does force carbing take? I mean, if I transfer straight from the primary, how long before the beer is drinkable when force carbing?

Yes, I did look at the corny kegs, the standard 19l ones are just too big for what I am doing atm.

Thanks for that,

Yes, I thought the BKT keg seemed like good value. I see they do a few tap options, I will have to see which one looks the best. I shall keep an eye out on Thursday.

How long does force carbing take? I mean, if I transfer straight from the primary, how long before the beer is drinkable when force carbing?

Yes, I did look at the corny kegs, the standard 19l ones are just too big for what I am doing atm.
I leave it an hour before drinking.

I’d recommend the BKT option as well, it comes with a ball lock lid so if you ever end up going down the corny route you can use these as overflow kegs, or to put the end of a corny in to free it up.

I’d maybe even recommend you go for the Sodastream version of the setup if you plan on force carbing as it will make it cheaper in the long run than using multiple bulbs.

It’s a slippery slope though - these are definitely “Gateway kegs”. I bought the 10L Sodastream keg kit in June, by the end of July I had built a kegerator and am now full corny.

Last edited:
I was going to say pretty much the same as above - go with the BKT option as this will allow the most felxibility in the future if you do decide to go down the corny route at some point, and the fittings are rather standard and readily available.
I have a 5L keg which is pretty much the same, just with MM branding on it, then I also have a 9.5L and a 19L corny, all three of which use the same disconnects so I can hook up to my pub gas bottle.
Essentially, going with the BKT option will serve your needs well now, and gives you options down the line.

Latest posts

Back