Mixed Berry Wheat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doive

Reaction score
Last brewed a wheat beer back in 2013, and I remember it being a riot of cloves and bananas, as I'd used MJ M20, but it was quite lacking in body. Recently gave a proper wheat beer another go, but this time I was intending to add 3kg of mixed berries to the secondary to create a fruit wheat beer. When transferring in to the secondary I took a glass for 'quality control' purposes, and was pleasantly surprised by the flavour and body of the basic beer, almost to the point that I was regretting racking it onto the fruit. But still, after two weeks in the secondary, it's now in a corny carbing up, and tastes very good indeed.

Mixed Berry Wheat
OG 1.050 FG 1.018 ABV 4.3%

3kg Wheat Malt
1kg Pale Malt
700g Rice Hulls
230g Flaked Oats
20g Saaz
Safbrew Wheat WB-06

28 litres water to 72C & mash in.
Mash malts & fermentables 60 mins at 65C.
Raise temp to 74C for 10 mins. I don't bother sparging usually, and end up with 23 litres in the kettle.

Raise temp to boil, add 20g Saaz & boil for 60 minutes. Crash cool to pitching temperature.

I pressure ferment in a Fermentasaurus at 10psi, usually takes a week to ferment out and clean up after itself.

Rack into secondary onto 3kg of Iceland mixed berries and leave for two weeks. Transfer into corny & carbonate, leave a week to settle.

IMG-20200814-WA0000.jpg

Back