Modified Buffalo 40Lt boiler.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodge

Reaction score
We have used a modified Buffalo 40Lt boiler for brewing by BIAB for over 2 years which we find an ideal system. We fitted large dia brewing thermometer in the lid and then a thermocouple mid height in the vessel. We found the boil too vigorous and split the two elements by cutting through the spot welded connection. Lucar connections soldered on and connected to a new switch giving option of the outer element or both elements in use. We changed the central safety cut out which we believe safeguards in the event of boiling dry to a higher temperature switch. We did this before reducing the number of elements in use so may not now required.
For BIAB we fit a removable stainless microwave plate stand approx 1 inch high to keep the bag clear of the elements. The bag fits perfectly around the outside of the vessel and we brew to maximum level. We Mash using the German Hochkurz method at three temperature 61-63 deg C then
70-72 deg C and finally 75-77 mash out. Initial heat input for grain in using 2 elements and then additional temperature changes and maintaining temperature using one element. We do stir during heat changes as find vertical temperature profile is very different even when sat for a period. Following bag out we top up the boiler with previously boiled treated Burton crystals water to max level.
Hops are added to hop bags in three stages Bittering, flavour 15 mins before end and aroma at heat off leaving all hops in until cooled down to 25 deg C by home made copper cooling coil. Irish moss added 10-15 mins before end of boil.
We are considering leaving the last addition till temperature drops to 80 deg C and fitting a strainer so can add hops direct. However our beers (12) have with one experiment all been very good.
We ferment in closed vessel for around three weeks using air lock to determine completion. We are considering dry hopping during this stage. All beers are kegged with sugar addition. Brews single hop citra (several brews), summer lightning, Timothy Tailer, 1st Gold, Bass clone trying to get to original flavour, Amarillo, A strong Belma hop with giga yeast aimed at strawberry (not best).
We use brewmate for all designs and aim for high IBU around 60 but planning a 36 Bishops Farewell.
All hops are leaf however just done a back to back Citra with pellet and leaf not completed yet but pellet brew is good. Hope some of this may be helpful.

I have a 40L Buffalo boiler and have not modified it at all. The tap locks open fine for me and I don't use a hop filter either. The only thing I do, is prop the boiler on two wooden blocks, so cool air can get underneath, this stops thermal cutout (overheating). For me its the ideal boiler.

Hi Beer cat it was new in late 2015 Nesbits.
If it is tripping can buy higher temperature switches several available but boil is very strong. Maybe can fit newer elements.

Hi ACBEV we raise on bricks if only so can reset the trip. We did one brew before a problem since mods have done 10 or so without problem. It is relatively easy to change stat to higher temp and around a fiver but cannot remember what temp new stat is but around 20 deg C or so higher I think. Stat has temp marked on it if change use silicon grease to aid good contact to base.
If bottom gets burnt a bit with sugars I think heat transfer is not so good so raises temp so we wire wool any film before use.

Latest posts

Back