More Newbie questions to my new gurus

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popspicker

Reaction score
1.Now that I have re primed my brew after a gas leak, I am worried that the wasted 3 weeks with no pressure will have affected the taste of the beer, any thoughts on that ?

2. As I have been advised that I can now leave the brew somewhere cold, am I right in thinking that the pressure builds up in the first few days when you keep it warm and then the rest of the 3-4 weeks is to let the taste develop ?

3. When you experienced brewers do a beer, does it get to the stage where you could plan a beer party for, say, 2 months after it is started, or is it always a case of trying every creation before you commit yourself ?

Think you have it wrong way round once kegged keep it warm for a few days then move to somewhere cool. As all grain brewers we can make a beer and have it drinkable in 2 to 3 weeks. Dont think the pressure thing is an issue it should be ok. Just brew as much as you can thats the only way really to gain experience. As for question 2 you are right

Popspicker said:
1.Now that I have re primed my brew after a gas leak, I am worried that the wasted 3 weeks with no pressure will have affected the taste of the beer, any thoughts on that ?
As long as there was positive pressure and no air and infection got in you'll probably ok :thumb:

Popspicker said:
2. As I have been advised that I can now leave the brew somewhere cold, am I right in thinking that the pressure builds up in the first few days when you keep it warm and then the rest of the 3-4 weeks is to let the taste develop ?
I leave in the warm for about 5 days to allow the yeast eat the priming sugars then leave in a cooler place to mature (if I'm honest I usually start testing after it's cooled for about 5 days :eek: )

Popspicker said:
3. When you experienced brewers do a beer, does it get to the stage where you could plan a beer party for, say, 2 months after it is started, or is it always a case of trying every creation before you commit yourself ?
For some reason my brews never last long enough :wha: :D

1. It should be fine mate. I had a keg that hadn't sealed properly, was just about to move it somewhere cool when i noticed :oops: I resealed it left it in the warm for another week then moved it for cold conditioning, turned out fine :thumb:

2. Yeah the warm period is for the pressure to build up and the cool period is for it to mature and clear

3. Lots of people do that, loads of people on here have already started brews for xmas!
I always have samples as i'm going to see how it's developing, i have a small glass after its been in the cool for a week then another taste every week after that until it's cleared and matured then i get stuck in :drunk:

Thanks for your help Craigite...like the fact that you're driking four ..He He !

Latest posts

Back