Morning from Somerset

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

folkfiddleplayer

Reaction score
1 minute ago
Morning folks. I'm a grey haired home brewer who has never progressed beyond making kits - sometimes with good results, sometimes terrible!! I'm here to learn how to get the best from kits and then possibly progress beyond. I'd like to start with a simple target!! I've got lots of the basic kit, but nothing for a more complex brew. Looking forward to improving.

Hi and welcome,
when you say "basic kit" you mean the cheapest budget brand kits?
Maybe spend a bit more and try some premium kits - you can tell the difference.
Also tell us what you have actually made and maybe fellow brewers can suggest based on that.
Have fun!

Hi and welcome,
when you say "basic kit" you mean the cheapest budget brand kits?
Maybe spend a bit more and try some premium kits - you can tell the difference.
Also tell us what you have actually made and maybe fellow brewers can suggest based on that.
Have fun!
Hi
I've generally used the cheaper end of the market, but I'm very happy to try something better - I need a pointer at what to go for. In the past I've made various bitters etc.... But I like drinking real ale, I like IPAs, I may be a bit odd, but I like Newcastle Brown! Interested in any suggestions.

There are several premium IPA kits : Muntons Flagship Hazy or West Coast IPA, Young's American IPA, Evil Dog DIPA or Festival Razorback. The list goes on.I like the American style kits myself. Can be tinkered with by changing the dry hops (Evil Dog with Mosiac instead of the kit hops for example) or adding more fermentables to the lower gravity kits. Although, most of these kits hit 6-7% anyway straight out of the box. My all-time favourite was Mangrove Jack's Citra single hop IPA, sadly out of production now.

Welcome the fiddler. Not much that can go wrong with a kit. Sure there are good ones and bad ones, Do you know why you sometimes got "terrible results"?
I've got lots of the basic kit, but nothing for a more complex brew.
I think @klaus , above, has misunderstood you. Do you mean equipment? Could you tell us what you've got?

Welcome the fiddler. Not much that can go wrong with a kit. Sure there are good ones and bad ones, Do you know why you sometimes got "terrible results"?

I think @klaus , above, has misunderstood you. Do you mean equipment? Could you tell us what you've got?
Hi
The terrible results were mainly the first couple of attempts before I invested in a heater so had long slow fermentations. I think that, perhaps coupled with not appreciating the value of sterilizing everything properly was enough to spoil things.
Kit, (yes, perhaps "equipment" would have been a much better choice of word as I'd just been talking about beer kits...) I have several 25l fermentation bins, heaters, pressure barrels, bottles, crown capping equipment, siphon pipes, funnels, measuring jugs, scales, airlocks, thermometers, hydrometers, bottle brushes, demijohns etc. I think I've got everything I need for kit brewing (but I may be wrong!!).

There are several premium IPA kits : Muntons Flagship Hazy or West Coast IPA, Young's American IPA, Evil Dog DIPA or Festival Razorback. The list goes on.I like the American style kits myself. Can be tinkered with by changing the dry hops (Evil Dog with Mosiac instead of the kit hops for example) or adding more fermentables to the lower gravity kits. Although, most of these kits hit 6-7% anyway straight out of the box. My all-time favourite was Mangrove Jack's Citra single hop IPA, sadly out of production now.
Thank you, I shall pass these recommendations on to Santa.

Hi
like you I have only made kits,the best thing I have done is use a battery drill to mix the ingredients of both wine and beer.I am still learning so I don't want to brew at the minute for fear of the sandwich maker and slow cooker, used a couple of times and banished to the back of the cupboard.I picked up a tip here about red wine kits and that is reduce the amount of water as the grape juice is what gives it body.

So you have a heater element, good news. Just remember to use it with a temperature controller and the temperature sensor slightly above half way up the level of the wort. Also recommend it is kept in an insulated or small enclosed volume.
So far I've only done kits and find that the temperature is key. If doing a 2nd fermentation in bottles, make sure they are kept at the same temp as the original fermentation for a couple of weeks.
Good luck!

So you have a heater element, good news. Just remember to use it with a temperature controller and the temperature sensor slightly above half way up the level of the wort. Also recommend it is kept in an insulated or small enclosed volume.
So far I've only done kits and find that the temperature is key. If doing a 2nd fermentation in bottles, make sure they are kept at the same temp as the original fermentation for a couple of weeks.
Good luck!
Current batch in bottles I have in a big plastic bin full of water with a heater, just too cold this time of year not to heat them somehow!!

Latest posts

Back