Mouldy kegerator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodak79

Reaction score
Since fitting the 2nd tap on the front of my beer fridge I am no longer opening the fridge door that often (previously using a party tap on the 2nd keg). Following this I have found that the inside of the fridge and the exterior of my cornies are covered in mould spores.
Any tips on how I can (easily?) stop this?
Thanks,
Chris

Wipe it down with a strong alkali like washing soda and don't rinse off. Mould hates alkali. It won't stop it but it will reduce it.

Thanks for the thoughts so far on getting rid of it but I was wondering if there were any simple ways to prevent it following a good clean? My initial thoughts had been around a mini fan and moisture absorption crystals?

Thanks for the thoughts so far on getting rid of it but I was wondering if there were any simple ways to prevent it following a good clean? My initial thoughts had been around a mini fan and moisture absorption crystals?
I think that's a good prevention plan. Your other responders are suggesting how to kill off what's already taken hold.

Are there any holes in the fridge? The moisture can be sucked in every time the compressor cuts in and lowers the temp. Seal up any holes you have made in the door or walls - might help. The mould spray I mentioned has a preventative action as well. A weak bleach solution wiped over all surfaces once a week would also help. Just remember that chlorine attacks stainless steel and brass.

Back