Munton's Bock - has it stalled?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo_C

Reaction score
Evening,

Just after some advice please...

Commenced brewing the above 1.8kg kit on the evening of the 13th Oct. Brewed up to 23 litres with 1kg of dark DME added.

OG reading of 1044 @ 20 degrees (Kit gives a guide range of 1044 - 1008) and temperature maintained at 20 degrees over the past nine days. Active fermentation evident over the first five days (kicking in after 24 hours or so).

However, have taken hydrometer reading over the past three evenings which produce a reading of 1016 @ 20 degrees.

So, how do I get it down to 1008? If I was to stir the mix with a (sterilised) mixing spoon, would that kick-start the fermentation again?

Any advice appreciated!!!

Regards

Paul

yeah gently stir the brew avoid splashing and raise the temp to 22c for a few days , that usually helps it out enough to finish off.

Afaik you shouldn't have any issues disturbing the trub, any yeasties in there that are dead will find their way back to the bottom again... I may need to be corrected though :shock:

Okay...so I've given it a good stir and will let the temp increase to 22 degrees.

We'll see what happens. . :D

Hi

So, three days after I gave it a good stir and let the temp increase the gravity has not shifted at all.

I'm considering siphoning it into a second FV tonight and leaving it a few more days to clear then bottle.

Should I take it that it has obviously fermented out where it is - 1015, as opposed to the 1008 target?

Paul

Sounds like it has finished. I've never had a beer finish as low as 1008. Do the instructions say to add DME or sugar? If the latter, then it won't finish as low as DME isn't as fermentable as sugar. The beer will taste better though.

Likewise, in 42 brews I've never had one go as low as 1008, most are usually at or above 1010.

Looking at my notes, my Muntons Bock finished at 1014 and it was an absolutley cracking pint: had 6 or 7 homebrews available for a bonfire party a few years ago and that was the favourite. I'd leave it a couple more days then bottle, it'll be good. :D

Generally, I'm not that impressed with the yeast supplied with the Muntons kits, always seems to finish a bit high or stick at 1020. :(

Hi,

Well I racked the Bock into a second FV as intended, and I have to say that the small amount tasted in the process of siphoning tasted good enough to drink as it is...

I am looking forwarded to this after 12 weeks of conditioning. :D

Paul

Back