Muntons Gold Continental Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justink

Reaction score
Decided to try a lager after a couple of successful ales. No real reason for choosing this kit, it was simply the only 2 tin option in stock at my LHBS! <- very scientific :? (I started on 2 tin kits and decided to stick to them for the first few brews, no other reason!)

I'm following the instructions apart from the usual extra time in the FV. I'll be bottling these ready for the summer.

So:

Started in FV on 25/02/2012 as per box instructions.
SG: 1040

Kept at about 18C to start with but nothing seemed to happen so I raised the temp to around 20/21C and it came to life straight away (possibly coincidence obviously... :) ) Its been bubbling away for the last 2 days.

Update to follow! I would of course love to know others experience with this kit!

:cheers:

After 2 weeks in the FV it was down to a steady 1.011.

6 Bottles with 1/2 teaspoon brewing sugar.
The rest went into a corny and force carbed at around 20PSI rocking on-and-off for about 10 mins.

How long can I resist before a taster....... :whistle:

I bottled this beer 2 weeks ago got it in the stable waiting to drink in the summer. Hope it turns out ok. If u give in to temptation let me know how it turns out :thumb: . Iv got the muntons gold stout ready to bottle in the next few days hope that turns out well. :cheers:

Right, after a month in the corney in the fridge I have tried a couple of pints.

Very nice I have to say. Smooth tasting and definitely 'continental' tasting. Even the missus liked it....which isn't such a good thing, means it'll go quicker :(

This was my second attempt at force carbonating and it is lacking a bit of fizz, but only a little so I still get a good head and a few bubbles. I'll keep the 6 bottles for a few more months and see how they come out.

I have to say that this just keeps getting better and better.

I will definitely be getting another one of these going ready for summer!

I did one of these kits a couple if years ago. Very nice lager. I bottled all 40 points of mine so didn't seem to have any issue with carbonation. I am hoping to do another one within the next month or so.

Hi,
I was looking for an easy to drink summer lager and went for Muntons Gold Continental Pilsner.

These kits are very easy to make, essentially just add water and yeast. Started yesterday with SG just under 1040.

This morning its bubbling away and all seems well, current temperature about 21 degrees.

I will bottle this in Coopers PET bottles with Coopers carbonation drops (easy and clean to use) and should give it a nice fizz.

Cheers,

hmmm been looking for an easy pilsner kit that tastes nice so I might have to give this a bash for the summer!

seamus said:
hmmm been looking for an easy pilsner kit that tastes nice so I might have to give this a bash for the summer!

Well worth it mate. I'm definitely going to do another one of these very soon. Really crisp nice beer straight from the fridge!

justink said:
seamus said:

Well worth it mate. I'm definitely going to do another one of these very soon. Really crisp nice beer straight from the fridge!

Fantastic, just what I was hoping for still got a few days left in the FV then into bottles.

Cheers

Hello brewers

Nice to hear good reviews about a pilsner I will give this one a go I've just got a better brew Czech pills which has had rave reviews will let u no how it goes :cheers:

Well this one has taken a little while to mature but its my fault. I left it in the warm for a long time after it was bottled before moving it to a nice cool cupboard.
I tried a few soon after they went into the cool place and while they were ok, they had a bit of a home brew taste to them. This was a good thing because I started drinking other stuff.

So after three months I dug out a couple of bottles and put them in the fridge and wow what a difference a little time makes. This brew has gone from ok but I probably wouldn't bother again to a must have. Easily better than many commercial lagers and excellent cold on a hot day.

Cheers

That should now say drinking below

I'm going to do this at the weekend, but use S-23 lager yeast and I'm tempted to add some Saaz hop tea.

Hi

Would have to agree with blackrat this needs a bit of time to mature. I tested a few bottles at the 4/5 and 6 week mark at it has a very distinct aftertaste which was a little un-pleasant.
But how this changes after only a few more weeks is amazing, i have put aside 10 bottles for over the Christmas and expect it to be even better.

I bottled this with 2 coopers carb drops and once poured it looks the bees knees, very good head all the way until you have to tap the bottom of the glass to get the last dregs and plenty of fizz.

Definatly going to try this again along with the better brew pilsner.

:cheers:

I have done this kit and the better brew pilsner and this wins hands down easily the best lager I have done so far and does get better the longer you leave it. I was very sad when I drank the last bottle!

Do lager kits like these benefit from colder fermentation temps? I've got the better brew one but I fancy trying this too.

PuggledPrune said:
Do lager kits like these benefit from colder fermentation temps? I've got the better brew one but I fancy trying this too.

Only if you use a lager yeast. I did this kit with S-23 yeast fermenting at 12C, also added some Saaz hop tea, just tried a pint that has been bottled for a week, and is good, should be quite good in a few weeks time.

Ah right, so it doesn't have a lager yeast? I'm struggling to get the better brew pils to finish fermentation cos it's a bit too cool I reckon so figured I may as well go for a proper lager this time.

Good Ed said:
I'm going to do this at the weekend, but use S-23 lager yeast and I'm tempted to add some Saaz hop tea.

It's only been bottled for 2 1/2 weeks but is tasting good already. I did another batch a week ago :thumb:

I'm due to bottle this next week. Brewed it with 500g light spraymalt, 300g dextrose, 300g caster sugar.

Back