My Attempt at a Stir Plate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henders

Reaction score
After doing my first BIAB a few weeks ago (BrewDog KingPin) and using the Wyeast they specified, I had a thought along the lines of, "oh my, over £6 for yeast." So I started looking at re-using yeast.

Being a fool I have a plethora of pc bits and bobs knocking about, a 3D printer and also an Arduino or two.

In summary I connected up some old pc LEDs, an old pc power button and a quiet 80mm fan to an Arduino Uno (well, a Nano first and also a Trinket but the Uno has a 12v jack sitting there already).

Then I remembered how to code in whatever it is Arduino uses and sorted some PWM stuff to the fan. I can configure speed and assign each speed either Green, Amber or Red LED light so signify the wizzy wizzy speed. Then I printed a case, then broke it a bit and screwed it all together.

Lastly I started with tiny magnets I'd intended to use for some chess board I printed, but finally managed to google "separate hdd magnet from holder" and plonked one of those in it today. It's held on by Blutac because i'm sure I won't regret that tomorrow morning!

Anyway it created some amazing whirlpool right to the stir bar with 400ml water, and it's now got 500 ish ml of wort in it and yeast from a stout kit I had going on. I haven't got a proper flask yet so using cafetiere thing.

Photos below if I can remember how, and possibly a video... ok no video!

I think maybe I filled it too much as it's struggling to create the vortex in the middle from what I can tell...

SxnAl1X.jpg

vX19JKP.jpg

5wmSrUP.jpg

Version 2 might use an actual HDD motor if I can find the wiring for various random ones. Additionally an Arduino is way too expensive a way to do it, so the one I make for my friend I think I'll go the default route of potentiometer and maybe usb to 12v thingy.

Anyway, hope it gives some inspiration/amusement!

Hah! Well I just ordered the Elon Musk flasks or whatever they're called, so hopefully this time tomorrow I'll be having a lovely time!

EDIT: Also I turned it off about midnight and it was froth'd up like a goodun this morning, so every time i try turning it on the foam gets higher and higher. So yeah, flask time... bigger flask time.

Last edited:
Back