My fermentation fridge build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gethin79

Reaction score
As promised in a different thread last week, here are some pics of my fridge build, just in case it helps anybody else or gives anyone some ideas. I'm no expert, but you never know, it might help someone! The photos seem to have come out really big, don't know if I can re-size them or not, but I'm sure its not really that important!!

The first thing was to build the control unit, using a project box from Maplin. It had removable ends which made cutting out the hole for the STC1000 unit fairly easy. The instructions tell you the dimensions for the hole required. I also drilled 3 x 20mm holes in the other end for the two sockets and one power supply cable.

The instructions on the STC1000 don't tell you which terminal the live and neutral supply go into, it just says "power supply". So, terminal 1 is live and terminal 2 is neutral.

I used 20mm glands from B&Q to secure the cables in place.

Box all closed up - rear view. Blue - cooling, red - heating, middle - power supply

Front view of control box - almost ready to fire it up!

The next thing was to take some meaurements of the bottom of the fridge. Due to the step I had to manufacture a shelf which would be capable of supporting the weight of a full fermentation bucket. I'm not sure how strong the bottom of the fridges are, so I tried to build it so that it spreads the weight over a larger area of the fridge floor, using a base length of wood:

Next step was to mount the heater to a length of wood, which will sit underneath the shelf. I managed to avoid having to drill through the fridge to run the power cable, instead running it through the drain hole at the rear:

Next was to fit it all together and hey presto!!

The finished article. I have routed the sensor cable through the door. It is small enough to allow the door to continue to seal.

And there you have it. I haven't gone into massive detail, but hopefully it is enough to help anyone thinking of doing the same. :thumb:

looking great that
i have to get some wood together and put a new shelf in mine you bottom shelf looks exactly what i want so as to put in 2 fermenters
have been putting up with the capacity of one fermenter and a 10 litre one and loads of bottles for too long now
I want to be able to accommodate 2 fermenters

:thumb:

Looks good... I may copy!

Would it be dangerous if you had a wild fermentation and some beer got on the tube heater?

marksa222 said:

Would it be dangerous if you had a wild fermentation and some beer got on the tube heater?

Thanks! :cheers:

I thought of that. I paid a little bit extra for an IP44 rated one. It'll be fine if it gets wet!! :thumb:

nobyipa said:
looking great that
i have to get some wood together and put a new shelf in mine you bottom shelf looks exactly what i want so as to put in 2 fermenters
have been putting up with the capacity of one fermenter and a 10 litre one and loads of bottles for too long now
I want to be able to accommodate 2 fermenters

Cheers! I haven't tested the shelf with a full fermenter yet, but it seems quite strong!

It looks like it would support an elephant... I think the original glass shelves are actually strong enough, I just don't have the nerve so I made a wooden one. But painted it white, it looks "cleaner" although I'm sure that's an illusion. Actually wood contains enzymes that destroy bacteria so leaving it natural is fine.

winelight said:
It looks like it would support an elephant... I think the original glass shelves are actually strong enough, I just don't have the nerve so I made a wooden one. But painted it white, it looks "cleaner" although I'm sure that's an illusion. Actually wood contains enzymes that destroy bacteria so leaving it natural is fine.

Haha!! Yes, I thought it was overkill as I was building it!! Kind of designed it in my head while buying the wood in B & Q!! Now have a full fermenter sitting on it with no hassles! If there was room it could definitely support 2! :D

Hi All

Can you hear the sobbing? I recently got rid of an old but working chest freezer. Wish I'd kept it as a chiller/fermenter. I guess I'll have to drown my sorrows in the last few pints of Deuchards IPA in the fermenter. Cheers Scubabrewer.

Scubabrewer said:
Hi All

Can you hear the sobbing? I recently got rid of an old but working chest freezer. Wish I'd kept it as a chiller/fermenter. I guess I'll have to drown my sorrows in the last few pints of Deuchards IPA in the fermenter. Cheers Scubabrewer.

Nooooo!! :oops:

Thanks for posting. I'm a little way off making one, but picking up ideas all the time. Like the simple way to identify the hot and cold, simple but very effective and pleasing to the eye too.

jaquiss2005 said:
Interested in doing something similar - what is the heater and where was it from?

I got it from Amazon. It's a 60W tubular heater. IP rated in case of any spillage!! Got it for about £20ish.

The fridge is a great addition to my garage! Makes temperature control a breeze! :thumb:

thepatchworkdoll said:
Hi here you can get the exact same tubular heater from ebay at £14.50 that includes postage.
Regards
Patch

Looks like I didn't shop hard enough!! Should have left it to SWMBO!! :lol:

Thanks for the info, hopefully others can get hold of one cheaper than me!! :thumb:

I got mine from eBay, was the first place I checked so I'm glad it was a decent price! Looks good Gethin, I have finally got my fridge so all I need now is some wood and my fermentation fridge will be complete too :D

Sone said:
I got mine from eBay, was the first place I checked so I'm glad it was a decent price! Looks good Gethin, I have finally got my fridge so all I need now is some wood and my fermentation fridge will be complete too :D

Good news! :thumb:

Have fun building it...I did! Takes the whole stress out of temperature control!

My STC1000 and tube heater are on their way from the respective suppliers, I've sourced cable and today at work the dept head told me he had a fridge I could have 'for a couple of quid'. As soon as the bits arrive I'll be building. Then to get a brew on!!

marksa222 said:

I have a shield protecting against spillages

nobyipa said:
marksa222 said:

I have a shield protecting against spillages
I didn't and it stopped working after a rather excitable fermentation :oops:

Latest posts

Back