My first AG brew - Decision time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there are 2 Wyeast Smack Pack products. Propagator & Activator. Propagator should be made into a starter only the Activator is recommended as a direct pitch product can you remember which you had..

The binman has been and gone so I can't go and see. I think it was the activator as I followed the instructions to the letter and they said to pitch directly after leaving it for a few hours post smack.

Gaffers said:
The binman has been and gone so I can't go and see. I think it was the activator as I followed the instructions to the letter and they said to pitch directly after leaving it for a few hours post smack.

That sounds about right :lol: . I used one once and it took a couple of days to really get going. I use Whitelabs in the test tube thingies they get going in under 24 hours pitched direct. I just stand it on the worktop above the boiler in the kitchen the night before brewday then give it a good shake before pitching. I do most of my Brew's on a Sunday and pitch the yeast Sunday night. Either when I get up for work Monday morning or when I get in from work on a Monday night there is positive pressure on the FV lid every time I've used them.

That's good to know. Has anyone used yeast from a microbrewery? My local, Hogs Back, sell it to order ready made into a starter.

I didn't get that far but I can ask later today when I pop over for some liquid refreshments....

I spoke with the Shop at HBB and they give it away for free!

They do ask for a small donation to their charity and you have to give them notice of when you are coming by. They will not post it though so that's great for me :party:

Gaffers said:
That's good to know. Has anyone used yeast from a microbrewery? My local, Hogs Back, sell it to order ready made into a starter.

I do mate, we're not a million miles away from each other I go to a microbrewery in Horsham to get most of my bits (WB King)

Not too sure about the yeast I'll find out what strain it is, but I get a couple of big dollops in a clean plastic glass covered in clingfilm. A few days before brewing I'll knock up a starter with 1L of water with 100G of light DME, boil up for 15 mins, cool down then mix up with yeast in a demijon.

Seriously, it goes off so quickly when that litre is pitched into a 5 gallon brew. I'll have to time it but were probably talking movement on the airlock fluid within a few hours.

Try a starter next time, I've no idea about yeast numbers (Aleman will) but I do know you'll end up with a **** load of yeastie beasties ready to go to work on your wort, much better than pitching direct :thumb:

Well after a long wait I bottled this morning after the FG reached 1010 and stayed there for 3 days. As I was bottling I sampled a little and the taste is quite nice, although there is a very bitter aftertaste. Maybe that will reduce after conditionning. Looking forward to :drink:

Thanks for all the help, now what next to brew :party:

I used Wyeast and White Labs once each, and I wasn't impressed with either Belgian yeast. I now only use bottle-culture from Chimay, Westmalle, Orval, Duvel etc. I can get the starters on the go in a leisurely manner - and after the first brew I harvest the yeast and get enough for another 3 or 4 starters.

When you think that it costs about £5 or £6 for a liquid yeast, I can enjoy 3 bottles of Belgian beer and make enough unhopped 1050 wort to make a dozen starters for that price. I don't think I'll ever buy a liquid yeast again.

Latest posts

Back