My first AG brew...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBarrySir

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently bought a starter BIAB kit from Get er brewed after reading a thread on here on how simple it was. After a few weeks sorting out various bits (wort chiller parts and something to prop false bottom up) today was the day.

The kit I received from GeB was a Hoppy APA. 3 hop additions and a big bag of grains. Unsure what either the grains or hops were - it didn't specify. It also came with a whirlfloc tablet.

Everything went great with the mashing and boiling stages however I have a few questions

1 ) The false bottom seemed to rise up whilst at the boil stage when the bag was removed. This meant that the hops and smaller bits of grain that got through the bag blocked the tap. I then had to siphon the wort into the fermentation bin which wasn't ideal, i think quite a lot of gunk got in with the good stuff. Is there anything that can be done to stop this?

2) I was left with around 15l in the fermentation vat which i thought was quite a small amount. i also got a reading of 1.070 which was way over what I was expecting. I did hold 4 litres of water back to sparge with, would this be the reason for the higher than expected gravity?

3) Due to the quantity and the gravity - i topped up to 20l with tap water and pitched the yeast - this brought it down to 1.054 - was this a wise thing to do? I've only done kits before so unsure if this would complicate / spoil things.

Only time will tell if it turns out good i suppose, there was a hell of a lot more husk and cloudy & murky bits floating around - i thought the whirlfoc tab was to drop this out - hey ho, lets see if it ferments!

Cheers

1. The false bottom shouldnt rise up. Hopefully you can sort that. You could siphon through a sieve to catch the bits.

2. Yes it would.

3. Right thing to do. Next time sparge more.

4. Whirfloc deals with proteins in the beer, not bits of grains and hops. You could sterilise a sieve and scoop out any floating stuff, maybe wait til you bottle.

5. Congratulations and welcome to AG!

My ag biab brews generally resemble soup when they go into the fv. By bottling stage they've cleared up a fair amount and haven't failed to clear yet. I'm sure yours will be fine too.

Latest posts

Back