My first All Rounder brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, I've just done my first brew in my AR. I'm doing a SOLA West Coast ipa from brewuk and recipe says use remaining hops in 2 stages as dry hops. Ist when gravity is 1020 and then the rest when it's finished. So as I'm new to the fermzilla I checked the forum and went with the following plan. Brewed on the 19th OG 1046, after 3 days set spunding valve to 15-20 psi. Day 4 (today) reading is 1016 so I have dry hopped the first half of remaining hops. The only way I can currently dry hop is to release the pressure (activity went crazy when releasing the pressure) and open the lid and throw them in and then purge. As they are whole leaf they are just sitting on the top but they have a few days to get something in the brew, trouble is the final dry hop is only for 4 days so I don't want them sitting on the top as I won't get the full benefit. I've seen that people use magnets and hop bags, does anyone use these
Screenshot_20220123_154802_com.android.chrome.jpg

Or can anyone point me in the right direction for hop bags and magnets please

Does your fermzilla have the yeast dump/catch pot on the bottom? I have seen someone add the hops to that and purge it with CO2 using a carbonation cap on each of the valves on the catch pot. Then you turn the valve and the beer drops into it and in exposed to beer to the dry hops.

This is the video where he does it. Look around 11:40 to see the second hop addition using the bottom pot.

Does your fermzilla have the yeast dump/catch pot on the bottom? I have seen someone add the hops to that and purge it with CO2 using a carbonation cap on each of the valves on the catch pot. Then you turn the valve and the beer drops into it and in exposed to beer to the dry hops.
I'm using the fermzilla all rounder

Using leaf hops for dry hopping in an AR seems like the third circle of hell to me. I have just bought a couple of these to use with pellet hops:

https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/fer...-ball-valve-dry-hop-device-for-fermzilla.html
These need to be used with a carbonation cap T piece:

https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/keg...ot-including-bottle-and-carbonation-caps.html
and a carbonation cap to connect your spunding valve. During the first part of fermentation an empty PET bottle is screwed to the top of the T piece and the valve left open. When it is time to dry hop the valve is closed and the bottle removed and filled with the dry hops. The bottle is replaced and the valve opened, allowing the hops to drop into the beer. The parts are available cheaper from AliExpress.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...nder-dry-hop-valve-review.97311/#post-1102279
That's my review of the dry hop valve, however I think it's best for pellets.

Magnets - that wouldn't work for me as I have a small under counter fridge and I know I would get the hops wet, trying to place the all rounder inside.

Open and purge, loads of people commented that's all they do on my thread. I do sometimes around 5 to 10 points away from the expected final gravity.

Also for the hops in there currently, I would give it a shake every now and again.

Hi, I've just done my first brew in my AR. I'm doing a SOLA West Coast ipa from brewuk and recipe says use remaining hops in 2 stages as dry hops. Ist when gravity is 1020 and then the rest when it's finished. So as I'm new to the fermzilla I checked the forum and went with the following plan. Brewed on the 19th OG 1046, after 3 days set spunding valve to 15-20 psi. Day 4 (today) reading is 1016 so I have dry hopped the first half of remaining hops. The only way I can currently dry hop is to release the pressure (activity went crazy when releasing the pressure) and open the lid and throw them in and then purge. As they are whole leaf they are just sitting on the top but they have a few days to get something in the brew, trouble is the final dry hop is only for 4 days so I don't want them sitting on the top as I won't get the full benefit. I've seen that people use magnets and hop bags, does anyone use theseView attachment 61733
Or can anyone point me in the right direction for hop bags and magnets please

I also use an All Rounder and I’ve given up late dry hopping in favour of only opening the lid during active fermentation as mentioned by @Zorro.

The hop bag and magnet technique is mostly used to suspend the bag on the inside of the AR whilst filling it with wort and releasing it late in the fermentation without having to open the lid.

I have a feeling that a hop bag filled with loose leaf hops will be too big and might touch the wort whilst hanging from the top of the AR.

But if you do go that route, a standard muslin hop bag works fine coupled with food grade white stir plate magnets placed inside the bag and a really powerful fishing magnetic on the outside. But don‘t release the bag, just drag it down under the wort and move it once a day.

The dry hopper in your picture could be used by popping the lid and weighing down inside with a spoon or marbles.

These days I use the device mentioned by @dcbrookes but with dry hops and it works great for me. I also use 2 tee pieces so that I can connect a gas line and a party tap at the same time to make purging easier.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back