All Rounder help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm cold crashing a beer in my all rounder and everything is starting to fall but I stupidly gave it a slight shake (thinking if I disturbed it the hop matter would break up and sink quicker) and gas started to rush out. I had it at 9 psi after the dry hop, got to 8C in the cold crash and the pressure dropped to 3/4ish before my foolishness.
It sounded like it came from the gas post. I popped off the ball lock and gas was still releasing. I'm confused here because there is hardly something stuck in the ball lock that didn't cause this before when I had it at over 10 psi during fermentation.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Also... Will continuing the cold crash damage the AR if pressure goes negative?

You need positive pressure when crashing or it will implode.

Charles’s Law.

Was it a vacuum you heard rather than a leak?

I know that. More hoping that it being round gives it a bit more sturdiness. Popped the spunding valve off and I'm going to keg tomorrow to be safe.
Wrecks my head that I was so close to an almost oxygen exposure free fermentation & transfer. It's my first attempt so I'll put it down to the learning curve.

I shake the **** out of mine without issue so don’t know what’s gone on.

I keep it on the gas when crashing, circa 2-3 PSI.

That's what had me confused because I had 2-3 times the pressure on it before the dry hop.
Time to experiment 😂 I'll put a few psi on to it and see what happens.

PRV was lose. Hit it with 10 psi and the PRV started hissing. Amazing how a slight (I mean slight) shake set it off at a much lower pressure than when I lifted it out of the fridge at a far higher pressure.
Crisis averted 👍

Back