My First Attepmpt - Too Impatient?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanJR

Reaction score
Hello! :cheers:

I started my first brewin kit last wekend - [the seemingly reliable] Woodforde Wherry.

I left it in the FV for a week and the hydrometer reading was coming in at about 1012 so I got on with the kegging on Saturday. When starting the syphon I got a good taste of the beer and it was just as good as it smelled.

Then when my mate came round yesterday (Sunday) evening I thought I'd pour a bit for a taste-test. tow things:

1. it trickled out of the keg quite slowly before comeing to a stop. I expected the pressure to build up quite quickly.

2. It tasted very watery.

Am I just being too impatient?

A day is just too impatient :rofl:
Try a week or more to get carbonation and 4-5 weeks for the beer to mature

+1 for above. Beer needs to age for about a month minimum. I have just started drinking a bitter which I brewed back in December. I tastes fantastic but I know in a few months when It comes to an end it will be even better.

I wasn't expecting the beer to be "drinkable" after a day, just didn't expect it to be so watery. Thanks for the advice, though!

Hopefully In a couple of months time I'll be enjoying the rewards in the sunshine and having another bre on the go!

NathanJR said:
Hopefully In a couple of months time I'll be enjoying the rewards in the sunshine and having another bre on the go!

...right about now, you start to accumulate lots of kit. You have an underripe beer in a keg. You have an empty FV.

It would be a shame to leave that FV empty now wouldn't it...? Just think, a range of beers all maturing in a nice sort of production line... One in FV, a couple maturing one or two drinking...

...ooops! sorry! :twisted:

:cheers:

calumscott said:
NathanJR said:

...right about now, you start to accumulate lots of kit. You have an underripe beer in a keg. You have an empty FV.

It would be a shame to leave that FV empty now wouldn't it...? Just think, a range of beers all maturing in a nice sort of production line... One in FV, a couple maturing one or two drinking...

...ooops! sorry! :twisted:

:cheers:

I don't need your help to get carried away :D I've been looking at some of the pale beers already (any recommendations?). Just in case, obviously.

This missus needs some more wine too (she already brews her own).

As you say, it's rude to leave that FV all alone...

Back