Way too much head

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengee

Reaction score
Hi,
After numerous posts on another thread, I' ve finally got my beer pouring out of my corny keg.
But.....what I'm getting out of the party tap is a very slow pour, more of a trickle really. When I pour into a glass I get a ridiculous amount of foam! I'd guess about a 5:1 foam to beer ratio. This can't be right.

The line from the out post to the tap was about 5 feet, thinking this is a little long, I shortened it to about 1 foot. This seems to have had no effect 😞. What length should I have?

The keg was pressurised to about 1.3 bar. Is this too much? I thought it might be, so I depressurised the keg, then charged it to 0.8bar. Still getting the foam issue.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? How can I get a decent amount of foam? The beer is an American style IPA.

Cheers
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_20230826_111405.jpg
    IMG_20230826_111405.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2023-08-27-17-03-22-87_dc00545bd3b8828f033a02ac25b2d36d.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-27-17-03-22-87_dc00545bd3b8828f033a02ac25b2d36d.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm using this setup. It's a 3/8 tube going down to 3/16 (I think)

Spaniels, whilst lovely, aren't recommended when trying to attain a good pour. Have you checked your disconnects are seated properly?

I've had all sorts of issues with a picnic tap due to all various reasons. I think switching to something like a flow control tap helped to the point where I can fully enjoy kegging 😀 also, not sure what works for others but I drop pressure to around 5 - 8 psi for pouring. Not sure if that's 100% rele ant in your case but I thought I would share.

Take the 3/8th off the ball lock end. i would say that's why it's foaming
I have removed the narrower tube. Now from the out post I have about 10in of 3/8 tube going straight into party tap.
This has helped the time required to pour a drink, but still get a ridiculous amount of foam ☹️

I've had all sorts of issues with a picnic tap due to all various reasons. I think switching to something like a flow control tap helped to the point where I can fully enjoy kegging 😀 also, not sure what works for others but I drop pressure to around 5 - 8 psi for pouring. Not sure if that's 100% rele ant in your case but I thought I would share.
Good suggestion, might invest in a proper tap, and get a mount 3d printed so I can mount the tap straight on the corny

I think you may find that there are already taps that connect to the ball lock connect and that goes straight on the post.

There are also ball lock flow control connects where you have some control of the flow right on the post. That could be cheaper than the entire tap etc. and not 100% sure but it could still allow to use the picnic tap.

Some research online supported by a pint on the side... hmmmm.... Nice 😀

I shall do that tonight, I guess it'll take time for the beer to show signs of improvement

Pull the prv slowly to let the pressure out then reset to 10psi, turn the gas off before pulling prv
I took your advice, and this is the result.
The only downside is it came out a steady trickle at that pressure, if only I could find a way to improve the flow. But I'm chuffed with the result. Thank you and cheers 🍺

Latest posts

Back