My first extract brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Palmer's book How to Brew has really clear instructions on extract brewing, including what he calls 'the Palmer method' of adding half the DME/LME at the end of the boil. He also gives you the conversion formulas for all grain to DME and LME. I am now doing mostly all grain, simply because I find it cheaper on ingredients plus I never know what DME to substitute for the base grain!

I normally treat about 21 litres in the fv with half a campden tablet then remome 4-5 litres to boil along with with a cheap bottle of gs and once boil is reached add 100g of galaxy at flameout. - then 2.5kg of DME and 500g of DWE stirred into the water in fv. After 30 mins I add the hot wort strained through a fine mesh bag. topped up with bottled water to around 22 litres. pretty much instant pitching temp.
Sounds interesting. Sorry but what is a 'cheap bottle of gs'? What ABV do you get?

John Palmer's book How to Brew has really clear instructions on extract brewing, including what he calls 'the Palmer method' of adding half the DME/LME at the end of the boil. He also gives you the conversion formulas for all grain to DME and LME. I am now doing mostly all grain, simply because I find it cheaper on ingredients plus I never know what DME to substitute for the base grain!
Do you shop around? In the States the price of dme can vary quite a bit: from $10.19 to $17.99 for three pounds.

Do you shop around? In the States the price of dme can vary quite a bit: from $10.19 to $17.99 for three pounds.
Yes, but in the UK it's all much the same, about £10 for 1.5kg

Sounds interesting. Sorry but what is a 'cheap bottle of gs'? What ABV do you get?

golden syrup - I usually get around 6.3%-6.5% depending exactly where the yeast finishes.

1665440433374.png

Latest posts

Back