my first mash tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philgc

Reaction score
Here is my first attempt at a mash tun!I cant wait to get started brewing

[img
Image005.jpg
][/img]
Sparge arm

Image006.jpg
[/img]
used a stop cock to control the out flow

Image007.jpg
[/img]
used a tap connector with the inner rubber removed as the hop filter

Et viola, une 'mash tun'

well, im hopefully gonna make a clone of a beer called 'Golden Pippin', its my favourite beer ever!I have it on good authority that it is just maris otter malt and cascade hops, just need to play about with the hops to get the exact flavour right, may take a few attempts. Any ideas what times i should put the hops in for this brew?
Just sorting out my boiler now, destroying some cheap kettles :party: !

Class kit, amazing what can be made for a few quid these days. I really enjoy everyone of my brewdays with a similar MT and a simple plastic bucket boiler and so will you :thumb:

Image012.jpg

my wort chiller off ebay, only 35 quid!!

Image013.jpg

will this make a suitable boiler dya think??

Hi is the cooler box you made the tun out of from argos?

If It is you will need to pull the polystyrene out and replace it with expanding foam, and also fill the lid with expanding foam, if you don't it will drop temp very rapidly, I built my first tun out of one, and it dropped about 6 deg first brew, after lagging it with expanding foam, it dropped only 1 deg C after a 90 min mash.

Shane

unclepumble said:
Hi is the cooler box you made the tun out of from argos?
If It is you will need to pull the polystyrene out and replace it with expanding foam, and also fill the lid with expanding foam, if you don't it will drop temp very rapidly, I built my first tun out of one, and it dropped about 6 deg first brew, after lagging it with expanding foam, it dropped only 1 deg C after a 90 min mash.
Shane

You can cover it with a sleeping bag to keep the heat in.

I just added extra polystyrene to mine instead of the expanding foam, they certainly don't come with anywhere near enough.

Definately put some insulation in the lid, there's none at all as standard.

thanks for the tips guys, yes it is from argos, very cheap and cheerful, luckily i have some expanding foam so i will squirt it in the lid, i also have a spare heat jacket off the old boiler tank i used to have, will strap i round somehow.cheers fellas, dont want my first brew to be a disaster so thanks for the heads up :cheers:

Back