My first partial mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eh_boy

Reaction score
Hello,

Having tried three kits now (Wherry, Wilko Stout and Shine On) I thought I'd try something with some grains and a bit of DME.

I only have an 11 litre stockpot so I'm pretty limited.

So I bought myself some Maris Otter, Amber and Crystal 140, a kilo of Light DME, 500g Medium DME. 100g of Fuggles and I had 50g of EKG left over.

Using Brewers Friend I cobbled together the recipe below.

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (ESB)
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 20 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 9 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.106
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 4.82%
IBU (tinseth): 34.96
SRM (morey): 13.02

FERMENTABLES:
1 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Light (28.6%)
1.5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (42.9%)
0.25 kg - United Kingdom - Amber (7.1%)
0.25 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 140L (7.1%)
0.5 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Amber (14.3%)

HOPS:
100 g - Fuggles, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 31.39
20 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 2.53
15 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 1.04
15 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 0 min

All went according to plan, mostly. I mashed 2kg of grain in a muslin bag in 8 litres of water in a Cool Box. Started at 67C and ended at 63C. Hmmm.

Boiled this for 60mins with the hop schedule as above.

Sparged the grain bag in another pot with 4 litres at 75C for 10mins.

Topped up the boil with some of the sparge.

Added the DME to the sparge and boiled for 5mins.

Chilled both pots of wort in an ice bath and transferred to the FV. Topped up to 20 litres with cold water and took an OG reading of 1047.

Pitched Wilko Gervin yeast at 21C.

And relax...

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Paul

hi eh_boy,sounds like a good 1st try at part and part,lets know how it turns out. I'm currently forbidden to do all grain,we are in a rented flat whilst i renovate our victorian terrace into which i am building a brewery :D, (she's calling it a utility room, but i know different;)). as a result i too am on kits for my fix and just wondered how your wilko stout turned out? as i have just keged up 40 pints and never made it before.

I'm impressed, three kits and onto partial, I reckon you are going to be well chuffed. Using grain and hops, it's the path to great beer, and the way to really learn. Stick with it. :hat:

Thanks guys, it was a lot of work but fun. I can see myself expanding as soon as I have the room. Think I need a dedicated 'brewery' like you soh, I'm currently making do with what little space I can find under the stairs and in the full shed.
I took a sample today and it's down to 1012 and tasting very nice although it is extremely cloudy at this stage.

soh - the Wilko Stout was great. I added a few tablespoons of black treacle before fermenting then primed with dark brown sugar into a keg. Kept the keg indoors for a week then into the cold shed. It was carbonated just right with a really nice creamy head just like Guinness, albeit a beige colour. I was drinking it after a week in the cold, in fact the whole 23 litres were gone within three weeks! I can say it definitely improved with age and if I had the patience I would have liked to leave it for at least a month.

Thanks guys, it was a lot of work but fun. I can see myself expanding as soon as I have the room. Think I need a dedicated 'brewery' like you soh, I'm currently making do with what little space I can find under the stairs and in the full shed.
I took a sample today and it's down to 1012 and tasting very nice although it is extremely cloudy at this stage.

soh - the Wilko Stout was great. I added a few tablespoons of black treacle before fermenting then primed with dark brown sugar into a keg. Kept the keg indoors for a week then into the cold shed. It was carbonated just right with a really nice creamy head just like Guinness, albeit a beige colour. I was drinking it after a week in the cold, in fact the whole 23 litres were gone within three weeks! I can say it definitely improved with age and if I had the patience I would have liked to leave it for at least a month.[/QMust use 10 or more characters!UOTE]

Back