My Home made apple press

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCFCcrazy

Reaction score
After being inspired by some of the photos posted on some other posts, I decided to make an apple press rather than buying one. Probably cost me about �£20 as I already had alot of bits, main cost was the jack as I didnt have one.

Ok, its not exactly going to make loads, but it will do for now. Will see how it goes at the weekend!

Had a bright idea to collect the juice, had some hose parts knocking around.

20151022_170318.jpg

20151022_171512.jpg

Looks great NCFCcrazy much on the lines of the one I made.

I also like the container you are catching the pressed juice in I might even try that rather than the roasting tin I use.

The car jack I use I got from a local car scrappers cost me a fiver out of a Renault Clio.

The only weakness I can see from your pictures is the cross member on the top, once you start to load pressure that cross member comes under a lot of upward force from the jack, I would advise strengthening it a little more but apart from that I reckon you have done a great job...

By the way does NCFC stand for Notts County Football Club ?

The only weakness I can see from your pictures is the cross member on the top, once you start to load pressure that cross member comes under a lot of upward force from the jack, I would advise strengthening it a little more but apart from that I reckon you have done a great job...

Agree with the upward pressure. I used 4 10mm bolts for my cross members. I think also you might have to get something to go between your jack and the cross member - not sure how much extension you'll get from the bottle jack, but probably not much more than in the picture?

20150929_191929.jpg

20150929_191949.jpg

The scissor jack I use has a limited stretch and I have to put a piece of timber between the jack and the cross member. When I look back at my design I should have made the two uprights a little less taller maybe six inch less....

The scissor jack I use has a limited stretch and I have to put a piece of timber between the jack and the cross member. When I look back at my design I should have made the two uprights a little less taller maybe six inch less....

There is a reason it looks so much like yours, you posted a picture on another thread, it was that picture that inspired me. [emoji2]

It broke! 😠

It was the bottom that was the problem, easy fix, just need to pop out and get some more bolts.

Its surprising how much force is needed to get every bit of juice.
I'm glad I was an inspiration carry on with the good work.
Your plastic container has been an inspiration to me.
I too have hose connections knocking about will use them like you have.

Would the plastic take the pressure without cracking? I reckon a board between the two timbers at the bottom might be needed? Just thinking out loud really....

Yes it is....as soon as the apple flesh is exposed to air it turns that colour.
Oxidation maybe the word...:doh:
Will it clear? It's not quite what I was expecting, tastes good though. Starting gravity was 1054 so should be lethal.

I didn't realise how much work it was to squeeze the juice out.

It normally clears with time.

I am normally pressing between 8 and 10 ton.

Keep meaning to take a pic of my set up but have not done so yet.

Will it clear? It's not quite what I was expecting, tastes good though. Starting gravity was 1054 so should be lethal.

I didn't realise how much work it was to squeeze the juice out.

Last lot of cider I made was pretty cloudy. I think real cider usually is but it does clear quite a lot as it stands in the bottle. By the way, it improves greatly if you can bear to leave it long enough in the bottle. Traditionally cider made in the autumn wasn't drunk until the following summer. That's what I did with my last lot and it was like a different drink compared to the sneaky bottle I had before Christmas.

There's two of us looking forward to those pics..
Surely you don't drink all of your pressing..hic.

No I don't drink all of it, friends and neighbors have some and it is always good to carry some in the car to use for currency, if I want something from a different section at work. I also hand out cider to anyone if I collect apples from them.

It also works well for me saying to keep it and it gets better with age, as I am still using what I made in 2013. so far ti seems to come in gluts and lulls, in 2013 I made 400 gals where as last year I only made 80, so it is going to be another glut this year.

Last edited:
I have two apple trees in my garden along with a pear tree all three are 3 years old.
Last year one of my apple trees was bursting with fruit the other had only a few on.
This year the tree that was bursting with fruit had hardly any fruit and the one last year with very few apples on was laden with fruit. The pear tree was doing well until a family of Migrant Squirrels moved in and ate the young fruit and left me with just three.:tongue:

Back