My Second beer - yet to be brewed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subnetix

Reaction score
Hi,

So after my first recipe, I am going to make my second attempt on Lemon Drop IPA.

I have altered the hops used;
70g Lemon Drops AA 5.2
25g El Dorado AA 13.3
30g Wai-iti AA 3 (I’ve tried this in my last brew of a different style, but think they could work here)

I am also going to add 1.25 kg of sugar after initial fermentation in the primary.

Full details here:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/660959/lemon-drop-ipa

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Hmm..I'm no expert but....are the IBU high for the abv? I'd be more inclined to bitter with the Dorado using less and keep the lemon drop for dry hop or hop stand.
I take it you're going to add the sugar for the last part 15minutes? of the boil? That amount may dry the beer out.

Hmm..I'm no expert but....are the IBU high for the abv? I'd be more inclined to bitter with the Dorado using less and keep the lemon drop for dry hop or hop stand.
I take it you're going to add the sugar for the last part 15minutes? of the boil? That amount may dry the beer out.

You’re probably right about the IBU, it might be perhaps better for me to reduce the El Dorado - the are my buttering hop anyway in at 90mins. But a little less would probably be better!

The lemon drop I was planning on doing in the last 10min, then dry hopping at a couple of different points with wai-iti.

I’ve done an experimental brew between my first and now, in which I pushed the limits to what I could for ABV, 10.6% (had to add extra yeast). My concern and reasoning for the later addition of the sugar is that I’ve read yeast can get lazy. Is that something you’ve experienced yourself, or would you still say it’s wiser to go with the boil?

Thanks for the response!

Why add the sugar?

ABV. Just my preference - 5.9 with, 2.9 without. I want to make someone someone could consider themselves buying. Not literally - I just kind of want to make something as close to professional as possible. (With the resources I have) Haha

Why the 35% brewhouse efficiency? Also, too much sugar.

As for the efficiency, that explains why I shouldn’t really need sugar! Haha

I had intended to set it to 55%, recommended for all grain. Must have set it to 35% and not realised! Oops!

Ok, so I’ll add a more negligible amount to boil now, just to push it a tad of the 5% line. More like 200g than 1.25kg. Hahaha

Ah ok, 200g sugar is better, though personally I wouldn't bother and just add some extra grain instead. Not more crystal 10 though, 1kg of it is too much as it is. Normally 10% is enough for a decent malty IPA, some might push it to 15% if they like it sweet. 18% is very high. I would bring it down a bit back into "normal" territory otherwise you run the risk of it being cloyingly sweet.

Ah ok, 200g sugar is better, though personally I wouldn't bother and just add some extra grain instead. Not more crystal 10 though, 1kg of it is too much as it is. Normally 10% is enough for a decent malty IPA, some might push it to 15% if they like it sweet. 18% is very high. I would bring it down a bit back into "normal" territory otherwise you run the risk of it being cloyingly sweet.

So I’ve discarded sugar, and added an extra 2kg of pale. The crystal mix % of fermentables is now 13.3%.

ABV is increased to 6 orso % to “match the style” for American IPA.

Watcha think?

Thanks for everyones input, btw!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back