My somewhat failed attempt at Effin Oatmeal Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally cracked open a bottle of the Effin Oatmeal Stout I brewed a while before Christmas. Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped. It lacked body and flavour, seemed somewhat watery. I assume the problem is me, not the recipe as it's been tried and tested by many brewers on here. Any pointers on where I might have gone wrong? I also have a Hobgoblin clone, which I will taste to celebrate finishing my tax return. Have a feeling that will fall a bit short too... :roll: Getting a little frustrated with my brews - my Christmas brew and Wee Heavy were okay, though not quite what I'd hoped for.

Dennis

I think we have all had the same problem at some point Dennis! I brew cracking lager's every time, but my ales are not really 100%, just seems to lack that few per cent, i think its down to the water and the fermentation temperatures. It would be nice if you could pin point the problem, but it might be harder said than done! i know how you feel after brewing and that tedious bottling.

Richard

What temp did you mash at and what yeast did you use? Also which recipe did you use, there are various one knocking about some which aleman has adjusted and tweaked. My version is somewhat different to alemans as well.

I also find it needs time as well, mine is best after about 4-5 months in the bottle then just gets better.

However if you do want to appreciate how good yours is, buy a tin of Guinless chill it right down (as it would be served in a pub :sick: ) and drink it next to yours at optimum temp (10-12c) and I can guarantee you will know why you brewed a effin oatmeal stout. :thumb: :thumb:

I brewed this, turned out 3.8%. Initially I thought it lacked body, but it was tasty nonetheless. After 3 months in the bottle it is maturing nicely but it still doesn't have the body of the heavier stouts I've tried. But perhaps that's just the style. Prefer it over a Guinness.anyhow :thumb:

I did the recipe exactly how it is in the recipe section :thumb:

The one in the recipe section is not alemans tweeked one, it is quite an early version. Mine is based on the one that Cuss used a couple of years ago when he brewed it with Aleman. I have tweeked it slightly myself as well.

:thumb:

3.8% is way under what you should get and I suspect that is the issue with your lack of body as well, even that old recipe should hit 5.5-6% with a 75% efficiency.

This was my New Years day Brewday from last year, when I brewed This Version of AEOS Plenty of body in it . . . even now with what is left.

d2uphrV.jpg

Hi Aleman, this is the recipe I followed... suggests 4.3%

Can't remember my mash temp as I don't have my notes with me but I was one or two points shy of OG and the windsor finished it at 1.013ish

It was only my 2nd AG though

Interesting you steeped some hops at 80c in that last one Tony :hmm: :hmm:

I remember suggesting that and someone saying that it would be out of style :whistle: :whistle:

The recipe I used is the same as the one posted by NickW, except I used toasted oatmeal, not t oat malt. I did a glucan rest/"mini-mash" with toasted oatmeal mixed with Maris Otter (20% of the weight of oatmeal). The temperature at the start was 39.3°C and finished at 35.6°C. Main mash temperatures as follows:
66.0°C at mash start
66.0°C at 15min.
65.4°C at 30min.
64.0°C at 45min.
63.2°C at 60min.
62.0°C at 75min.
61.0°C at 90min.
Mash-out at 77.7°C, held for 10min.

Yeast: Windsor

OG=1.039
FG=1.016
ABV=3.1% :oops:

Dennis

You seemed to lose quite a bit of temp over 90 minutes, you should aim to hold it at 66 for the duration of the mash, that may well be part of the cause of it being thin. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
You seemed to lose quite a bit of temp over 90 minutes, you should aim to hold it at 66 for the duration of the mash, that may well be part of the cause of it being thin. :thumb:
Agreed a 30 minute rest at below 64C is right in the optimum temp range for beta amylase. . . . although finishing at 1.016 is a bit high, even though Windsor is a low attenuator. I would have expected it to go down to 1.012 quite easily (As an Example 3 packets of Windsor took my Imperial stout down from 1.096 to 1.022 in three days!! . . .It finally ended up at 1.018 which is round about where I would have expected it).

What sort of temperature did you ferment at? Once it's going Windsor likes to be at around 20C or slightly more. . . and a constant temp is essential as it does pack up early if it experiences a cold spell (like 18C or below)

Thanks for the feedback.

I have to admit that as I was typing up the mash temperatures, I realised that it had dropped very low, and I think you might well be right that this could account for the lack of mouth-feel.

Fermentation temperature is a little more complicated to account for. It fermented "out in the open", that is to say that I didn't have any particular means of controlling the fermentation temperature. I have stick-on thermometers on my FVs and as far as I recall, the temperature was about 18°C. I deliberately tried to keep it on the low side as a few of my previous brews seem to have been a little heavy on esters and I knew that they had fermented at relatively high temperatures. I didn't realise that Windsor prefers a slightly higher temperature. I do need to get a controller sorted. Also, maybe I should get to and build that temperature data-logger, just still not sure I've got the skills!

Considering how low my ABV turned out, I think I'll have to conclude that my extraction was pretty low. I will have to keep better records of pre-boil SGs, volumes etc. to try and troubleshoot this.

Anyway, thanks for the input, some points to look at.

Dennis

Back