Nationalise the pubs!! - The Carlisle Experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also I think the reason why there is now a push for reducing sugar in everything and alcohol limits again. Because of the American ethanol fuel plants which run on corn sugar.

I think the reason for the reduction in sugar is because sugar is so bad for you. A big part of the obesity epidemic is bacause of sugar

I would have thought that the strength was brought down and the use of less grain because of food shortages. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned.
Also I think the reason why there is now a push for reducing sugar in everything and alcohol limits again. Because of the American ethanol fuel plants which run on corn sugar.

Nothing to do with ethanol plants - we don't put much corn sugar in any beer, and even flaked maize use is reduced. CAMRA had a big push against sugar in beer in the 1970s/80s as that's how Watney did it, and the likes of Fuller's went mostly all-grain in the 1980s/90s.

The push is coming from drinkers - partly down to Instagram culture meaning people are more sensitive about calorie consumption, and just a wider cultural change. Whereas the war against alcohol in WWI was only about munitions factories on the surface, the likes of Lloyd George were pretty hard-core Prohibitionists at heart, and would gladly have introduced Prohibition in this country if they had had a chance. In WWII it was different as the government recognised that beer was good for morale - not least that of Churchill who was a complete lush.

Back