Neipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatcontro11er

Reaction score
I brewed this neipa 3 weeks ago now and although it looks the part it’s just not punchy and really quite bland!
It’s not been dry hopped but 95% of the hops went in @ 70 c steep post boil
Cascade, citra, centennial, nelson, chinook.
???
D1B6CA99-F7D4-471B-83CC-677EC83D60D9.jpeg
D1B6CA99-F7D4-471B-83CC-677EC83D60D9.jpeg

I brewed this neipa 3 weeks ago now and although it looks the part it’s just not punchy and really quite bland!
It’s not been dry hopped but 95% of the hops went in @ 70 c steep post boil
Cascade, citra, centennial, nelson, chinook.
???
View attachment 72067View attachment 72067
Approx 300g btw per 45l
Am I too light and should I load it with dry hop?

Approx 300g btw per 45l
Sounds light in terms of overall quantity of hops.

For reference, I did a hazy pale recently that for a 20L batch with a 4.8% ABV used a total of 325g of hops split across the boil, hop stand and dry hop. So my hopping rate was more than double what you've used.

That being said, I still wouldn't expect a 300g/45L hopping rate to produce a 'bland' beer - there should still be some hop character there, but not quite as big and bold as you might expect.

I’m at work at the moment and have my brewing log at home but I’ll add the recipe later but the grist was pretty typical
Pale malt
Vienna malt
Some wheat
Rolled/flaked oats
90 min boil
10g challenger start of boil
100g cas,centennial chin etc last 5?
200g 70c steep
Approx

I’m at work at the moment and have my brewing log at home but I’ll add the recipe later but the grist was pretty typical
Pale malt
Vienna malt
Some wheat
Rolled/flaked oats
90 min boil
10g challenger start of boil
100g cas,centennial chin etc last 5?
200g 70c steep
Approx
I'd suggest moving the 5 minute addition to either 0 minutes or the hop stand (or half of each) and adding a 300-450g dry hop.

I’ll certainly add the dry hop now, what length of time would you suggest to dry hop?
It’s a mixture of leaf and pellet.

I know this is heresy but I would increase the start of boil hops to 30g, then a 10 minute addition, then whirlpool and finally dry hop.

I know this is heresy but I would increase the start of boil hops to 30g, then a 10 minute addition, then whirlpool and finally dry hop.
Burn the witch! :laugh8:

But more seriously, this would work too if you want a bit more bitterness. Depends on whether you want your NEIPA to be all fruity and juicy or whether you want some bitterness in there to round it out.

Could it have oxidised? That's a common issues with NEIPA apparently (even if it doesn't turn purple).

Approx 300g btw per 45l

Yes to both - 7g/l is not much more than APA hopping, most homebrew NEIPAs are in the 10-16g/l range, some of the big commercial names are up over 20g/l (eg Cloudwater do 24g/l but have things like centrifuges to manage the problem of beer being lost in the hop waste and their "supermarket" collab NEIPA with Brewdog is 10g/l - there are links to some of their DIPA recipes in this blog of theirs, I give some background in this post on HBT).

Dry hopping is kind of a characteristic feature of NEIPAs. These days the trend is to cool crash down to 12C or so after fermentation to drop out most of the yeast before dry-hopping for 2-3 days.

And the thiol-rich hops are characteristic of NEIPAs - the classic combination is Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy but in general I'd drop the old-school "C-hops" like Cascade etc and get at least one NZ/Oz variety in there - Nelson is OK, but is a bit different to a Galaxy or Vic Secret.

For general process etc, the definitive source is the massive NEIPA thread on HBT, Braufessor's recipe is a good place to start although don't get too literal about it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/page-146#post-8203827

Back