New brewer from Glasgow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffsticks

Reaction score
Hi all

I started home brewing over lockdown as a new hobby over lockdown. I've got an old friend from University who's been brewing his own beers and wines for years, and with his encouragement I've taken the plunge myself.

I've tried making my own beer before, and it went relatively well for a first attempt (it was drinkable and I didn't go blind) but I'm more interested in wine making. My partner is a keen gardener & forager, and over the summer and autumn we've enjoyed getting out and about to source wild ingredients that could be turned into wine - I'm fortunate enough to live on the outskirts of Glasgow so there is an abundance of stuff to find.

I've got a couple of summer wines to bottling stage so far - a dandelion batch and a more conventional rhubarb wine, and I've got a blueberry wine that I made from shop-bought frozen blueberries ready to bottle up this weekend. Over the last couple of weeks, I've been slowly filling my freezer up with elderberries (stripped from the stems) and sloes, and I've got a batch of bramble and elderberry on the go which is frothing away nicely.

Now that I've got the basics, I feel like I'm ready to go a bit deeper into this new hobby, and what better way than by actually talking to people really know what they're talking about!

Hi and a warm welcome and it sounds like you've been busy with your wine. I'm not that far from Glasgow either so welcome as another central belt lockdownee. Your foraging sounds great, especially the wild ingredients. I'd love to do more foraging but have never been quite brave enough to strip the brambles or elderberries from the public green spaces around us.
Anna

Hello and welcome duff.
I've just bought some yeast sachets from a place called crossmyloof in glasgie.
(Through eBay)
Decent seller with prices to match.
One to look out for 👍

Latest posts

Back