New hop.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried it at the St Austell brewery beer festival. it was nice. I wouldnt say it was a challenger for the new world hops at all (see my pun there)

It does state it's the first year. Think it might have been Critch who mentioned Charles Faram were developing some new varieties.

Belter said:
Tried it at the St Austell brewery beer festival. it was nice. I wouldnt say it was a challenger for the new world hops at all (see my pun there)

Would love to know how you managed that?

jamesb said:
Belter said:

I walked in the door. paid. bought some half pint tokens. noticed they had a beer with new English experimental hops. thought I'd try it as my first beer. I put it to my lips ans tasted it.

is this what you meant or have I taken your comment the wrong way?

Belter said:
jamesb said:
Belter said:
I walked in the door. paid. bought some half pint tokens. noticed they had a beer with new English experimental hops. thought I'd try it as my first beer. I put it to my lips ans tasted it.
is this what you meant or have I taken your comment the wrong way?

It's just that with this particular hop (there are others around on trial), Moor beer had the only 60kg grown in the country.

Moor Beer have a presence at several of the beer festivals in the west country so it should not be surprising that Belter came across their new beer at the St Austell do....

Belter said:
it wasn't Moor Beer's beer. it was St Austells

Which beer was it Belter? I fancy picking up a bottle of the Moor Beer brew tomorrow and would be good to have another to compare it with (if the St Austell beer is available in bottles that is..)

Belter said:
see picture above. Jesters English Ipa

Oh Yeah - I missed that.

So how would you describe your impressions of the hop flavour/ aroma? Was it very distinctive?

i remember thinking it tasted very distinctive. A bit like it had a sour lemon mixed in with all the bitterness and none of the sweetness. A kind of chemically taste.. can't really put my finger on it but tasted a bit wrong. drinkable. but I wouldn't rush out and buy it again. then again every beer I tasted that night tasted like it had been shaken up and not looked after. I even had a pint of Bath Ales- Gem as a sure fire good beer and it tasted like sh1t.

Latest posts

Back