New member from mid Wales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ystranc

Reaction score
While I enjoy good beer my real passion is making cider. Having planted a mixed heritage variety orchard I’m ideally placed to indulge myself. I’m still experimenting and every year brings new challenges.

Welcome @Ystranc . I know just what you mean. I love a drop of (West Country) cider. Welsh Cider, too, if its Gwynt y Ddraig. Not too fond of Taffy Apples.
Could you give us a few more details of your orchard and the challenges you've faced and overcome.

Welcome to Valhalla, Welshman. I love cider. It's my drink of choice. I brew beer because I can do it all year round and because cider makes me fall over. I planted a few yearlings in my orchard to give the eaters and bakers a bit of flavour: 2 Yarlington Mill, 2 Dabinett and a Stokes Red. That was before Brexit, when we could still import English trees into France. Hoping for a bit of crop this year. Like @Clarence, above, I love still cider and have drunk no end of Hecks' dry. France is a cider country, too, but it's as different as lager is to stout and I have difficulty after the first couple of pints (too fizzy and horrible when flat). Looking forward to hearing what you've got to say on the matter. No disrespect to the Turbo cider and kit producers, but it doesn't correspond with the way I make cider.

Welcome I’m from the valleys but live in Hampshire now. Where in Mid Wales are you? I used to drive to Aberystwyth when our eldest was at university.
I’m just outside a small town called Cilmery which is slap bang right in the middle of Wales.

Welcome @Ystranc . I know just what you mean. I love a drop of (West Country) cider. Welsh Cider, too, if its Gwynt y Ddraig. Not too fond of Taffy Apples.
Could you give us a few more details of your orchard and the challenges you've faced and overcome.
Most of my challenges involve the local wildlife, fungus or clay soil.

Welcome, I'm quite new here and a Welsh man also, from the South Wales valleys.

I am on my first lager kit at the moment and have bought all I need to get a stout going, but I am keen on getting a cider going very soon with summer here.

I don't have access to lots of fresh apples so I will be going more moon shine carton juice with maybe cherries for a twist. Can't wait to get the cider on if I'm honest 😁

Latest posts

Back