New to AG, and making mistakes already

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mead1ntyneside

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just set away my first AG brown ale, I got the recipe from "right ways, BEER AND CIDER MAKING". Everything was going to plan right up untill I started measuring my ingredients... The recipe calls for 1 oz of cracked crystal malt and 2.5 black malt "un-cracked"... I then realized my dilema and mistake, I'd picked up cracked chocolate malt instead of the whole black stuff, I decided that rather than put the whole 2.5 oz of black into boil I'd put a shade under 2oz of the chocolate stuff in it's place. I have read somewhere that the back malt, chocolate malt is more to do with colour is that right? and will what I've done make much of a difference?

:pray:

both boths add colour in low quantities and flavour in higher quantities, those flavours being chocolate and burnt/roast flavour. i'm sure black is meant to be crushed anyway for use in home brewing? weird.

the outcome will be different for sure, it'll be a little lighter, by rough calc you're looking at an amber beer. no problem though. it'll still be most delicious!

Thanks Rob, I'm looking forward to getting my first taste of it.

1 more thing though, If I bottle condition it will I still need to use a secondary or can I just prime then bottle?
:cheers:

If you add sugar, or sugar solution, direct to each bottle, then fill the bottles with your beer, there's no need to transfer to a secondary fermenter

If you are batch priming - adding one lot of sugar to the fermenter before bottling - you must transfer to a secondary fermenter first, as you'll need to stir the sugar in, thoroughly, to ensure even distribution of the sugar, and you can't do that in your primary fermenter or you'll stir up all the trub that's settled on the bottom :thumb:

Latest posts

Back