New to AG - Love the Forum

Discussion in 'General Recipe Discussion' started by Chizzle, Sep 8, 2016.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 16, 2016 #21

DaveShaw

DaveShaw

DaveShaw

Hi Chizzle,

Welcome to the forum, picked up on your mention of Peterborough, just up the road in Deeping. Been a member on here for a number of years, don't post - shame on me, but active in the sense that I'm on here regularly searching for tips and advice, and always have beer brewing - made the leap to AG 2 years ago, never looked back! For what it's worth in my opinion Amarillo's definitely the way to go, never been convinced putting fruit in beers a good thing!

Happy brewing,

Dave

Chippy_Tea likes this.
  2. Sep 18, 2016 #22

Chizzle

Chizzle

Chizzle

I just moved out from Deeping a few months ago, so know it well!

I ended up going against (most) of the advice on here and adding a bit of orange peel into the last few mins of the boil. It's been fermenting a week now, so added my dry hops (and a little bit more orange peel) today - it's tasting pretty good! Will bottle this batch and set off another brew next weekend!

Have to say this forum is really useful - find myself reading thing pretty much every spare minute I have!

3. Sep 24, 2016 #23

Chizzle

Chizzle

Chizzle

So two weeks after my first brew day, today was bottle day!

Brew day went pretty well - but bottling day wasn't quite as smooth! I'm using one of the plastic kegs as my bottling bucket as i don't currently have another plastic fermenting bucket. I stupidly screwed the lid on whist bottling, and couldn't for the life of me work out why the beer wasn't coming out of of the bottling wand! I assumed the tap was blocked, so siphoned into a demijohn to unblock the tap before realising my mistake. Hopefully I've not oxidised the beer too much.

Just got everything cleaned up (i'm pretty messy!) and brewing another tomorrow. I'm hoping that by brewing fairly regularly i'll learn from the mistakes!

4. Sep 25, 2016 #24

JapanBrew

JapanBrew

JapanBrew

Regular. Supporting Member

If that happens, after bottling, just lay the caps on the bottles but dont crimp them. Let them ferment up a bit. This should force out the oxygen a little.
    I do this anyways to get a little co2 above the beer and push out as much oxygen as I can in the bottles.

5. May 15, 2018 #25

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

BeerisGOD

Regular. Supporting Member

So tempted to buy galaxy hops (crossmyloof) but I can't seem to justify paying over 7 quid

I'm using Ella and citra in my latest batch and have plenty left over
    Is there a real distinctive difference between galaxy and Ella that makes paying double the price worth while?

(Ella on eBay for £3.50)

6. May 16, 2018 #26

IainM

IainM

IainM

Syphon-sucking bag squeezer Supporting Member

There is a galaxy of difference between then. Galaxy is one of those singular hops that can't be subbed without affecting the brew. Also, I wouldn't bother with leaf, but you can't find galaxy pellets for love nor money at the moment.

7. May 16, 2018 #27

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

Beer designer Supporting Member

I heard about the upcoming shortage and stocked up. I have enough 2017 galaxy until the 2018 harvest. Although you could argue you can never have enough galaxy. ;)
    I've tried: amarillo, citra, tettnang, admiral, apollo, chinook, pallisade, moteka, simcoe, ekg, mandarina baveria, ahtanum. Galaxy is my fave, followed by amarillo and simcoe.

8. May 16, 2018 #28

foxbat

foxbat

foxbat

Geterbrewed have some. Fill your boots, I did!

Now I need to know what's the best pairing for Galaxy. I was thinking Simcoe or Nelson Sauvin?