New to brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The gopher

Reaction score
Hello folks,
After a semi froogle couple of months, and a desire to try something new, i decided to give home brew a go.
I must thank you, some of the recipes/stories on this forum inspired me to actually go out and purchase a fermenting vessel. It contains 25 litres of canned peach wine, bubbling away and has done for the last 3 weeks.

Any ideas when it will be ready? Not soon enough!

Hello and welcome! I would imagine your brew should be done fermenting by now? Did you take Hydrometer readings? Thats the most accurate way to tell (take a reading at the beginning and when it reaches 1.010 or below you are pretty much done) you can also calculate your ABV from these readings using the calculator in the top left corner of the screen.

Wines often make it below this (0.995 and under sometimes) beer and lagers generally stop at around 1.010. Although if you dont have a hydrometer then this info is no use to you...

on average (depending on what you are brewing) a ferment will take between 7 and 14 days to complete. In your case 3 weeks is plenty time so all your sugars should have been used up by the yeast.

I would say now your are either ready to bottle or barrel your brew...the choice is yours! :)

Thanks for the warm welcome. No meter reading as I've not yet got a meter. Although I did a fair bit of maths to try and work out how much sugar to add, does 6 kg in 25 litres sound about right?

Wow that sound like quite a lot to me! I would say for a 25litre batch no more than 2 kg really as you also have all the sugars from the fruit too...if all the sugar has been fermented you are going to have one hell of a potent brew!

I think there is a way to work out the ABV from amount of sugars to volume but I have no idea how, maybe someone else on here could help out?

6KG lol. Sounds like a bit much to me :D

What recipe did you follow? Might be able to work out ABV if the sugars all ferment :)

I've posted the recipe, it was one I made up after a little research.

Had a cheeky taste last night; wow, very strong but still a bit too sweet for me. Think I might leave it another couple of weeks.

What yeast did you use and what temperature is your brew sitting at?

Both of these will impact when your brew will be finished fermenting. I am assuming that you are trying to make a wine in which case it may take a while yet to finish. Some of mine can take 3-4 weeks to finish fermenting and that is about 1.3kg of sugar in 5L so 260g/L. You have 240g/L so it may still be going.

You are best to get a hydrometer and test it though.

ScottM said:
Ahh you're aiming for 18%. That may take a little while then :D

I may be wrong but 6kg per 25L is 240g/L.

This would give an approximate OG of about 1.090. Assuming it ferments out to 0.990 then it would give a brew of 13% ABV.

alanywiseman said:
ScottM said:

This would give an approximate OG of about 1.090. Assuming it ferments out to 0.990 then it would give a brew of 13% ABV.

+ the sugars from the peaches etc (approx 1.5kg). 6kg is just the additional sugar used :)

ScottM said:
alanywiseman said:
ScottM said:

+ the sugars from the peaches etc (approx 1.5kg). 6kg is just the additional sugar used :)

I see now. I thought it was 6kg total :roll:

I stand corrected.

Originally I was going for 18% in 23 litres but ended up over filling the 25 litre mark. Looks closer to 14%. I used young's high alcohol dessert wine yeast and the room is about 10-15 degrees C.

With the temp that low i would be leaving it longer. I dont think it will be finished yet.

Patence is the key to a good brew. It will get there and when it does it will be the better for it :thumb:

Latest posts

Back