Cashless pub.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never worked in the industry or tipped by card how does the employee see how much they have earned in tips in a shift if its all done electronically?
They can see on the till how much has been added to the raw bill, and generally they will have a personal login to the system so if tips are "tracked" per person, then it's easy to assign a tip to the person who rang in the bill. But most restaurants tend to operate some kind of communal "tronc" system so that tips are shared with the kitchen staff based on hours worked (and often with a points system so more senior staff get relatively more).

Arguably it's more transparent than happens with cash where notes can "disappear" before the right person gets them.

I always tip the bar staff when we go out to watch the football and have a few drinks as we always stay in the same pub and the staff are great, how do you tip with a card?
Most machines ask if you would be pay a tip. Well the ones I see in cafes, pubs and restaurants.

My wife's business is cashless, no banka around to pay them in, some people pay by cheques but there are always issues with handwriting, spelling etc. Pain in the ****. Last time I took a load of cash/cheques in for her I ended up arguing with them, apparently she held the wrong account for her turnover and they wanted a bigger cut. Goodbye bank, hello Monzo. They seem good, a few issues with their app, a clear mechanism to report things and they ended up making changes to their app which suited her use.

They can see on the till how much has been added to the raw bill, and generally they will have a personal login to the system so if tips are "tracked" per person, then it's easy to assign a tip to the person who rang in the bill. But most restaurants tend to operate some kind of communal "tronc" system so that tips are shared with the kitchen staff based on hours worked (and often with a points system so more senior staff get relatively more).

Arguably it's more transparent than happens with cash where notes can "disappear" before the right person gets them.
Can I just add too, in my younger years I worked in many kitchens as well as a Silver Service waiter.
When I worked in the kitchen as a GA and Porter, we got nothing from tips.

The waiters would keep most, the chefs would get say 10%. as would the Maitre'D.

I believe under this system, everyone gets a fair share.

You don't get your food if I don't prepare the veg, salt the steaks, prepare the starters and so on.
And having been sommelier too, despite me matching your wine perfectly, I get no thanks either, even though I'm constantly watching to ensure that you're not going dry.

Believe me, the food tastes much better if the wine matches!

The other thing with tips if given by card they are now taxable as should be.
Nobody tips me for doing my job and they do get paid the minimum wage like most workers, no longer the low paid job it used to be unless you are a illegal and are being paid a pittance by unscrupulous employers

I worked in a few bars when I was younger. A tip would of been normally get yourself a pint as well. I would keep a glass or jar at the till, the value of a pint was added. On a busy night you could earn more than you got paid for the shift.

I used to work in a sports club in town and the bar staff put tips in a jar when customers offered to buy us a drink we then split it at the end of the shift.

Last edited:
One pub local to me keeps a slate for regulars say 3 / 4 pints a night then they offer 10% off when paying by card at the end of the night, so they only have the one transaction to pay for
Some run a loyalty card, one of payment to top up. Incentives like spend X amount a month and receive a free Sunday dinner. Or top up 30 pounds on a Sunday during the football and receive a free pint. Pints at a lower price etc

One pub local to me keeps a slate for regulars say 3 / 4 pints a night then they offer 10% off when paying by card at the end of the night, so they only have the one transaction to pay for
Had a few recently say do you want to open a tab when I ask for a pint and a menu, another place said £5 minimum transaction I said fair enough I'll have 2 pints, which I would have anyway, and they pull me another when I'm ready. Good common sense stuff

Latest posts

Back