New to this - not sure if its okay

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordon_g

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Firstly, may I say I am a novice to beer brewing, and always wanted to do this – I hope it is a hobby that I can continue to do for a very long time.

Maybe someone can tell me if I am on the right path…

I started a Woodforde’s Norfolk Nog on Friday after noon, following everything instruction to the letter. After mixing, I have place the vessel in the hot press / airing cupboard, for a warm, constant temperature. I checked on it today, and I cannot see any bubbles rising. Did I do something wrong? My fear is the water I used was to cold, what with this weather. Has the yeast possibly not activated? Yes, I am impatient, but do not want to check inside for at least a few days. Am I worrying needlessly?

Thank so much for any advice any members can give me

Cheers. Gordon

It does sound like the yeast may not have activated.
What sort of vessel? Often if the gas can get out easily you don't see much, especially at the beginning, but OTOH it's had 3 days.
Any sort of froth or anything?
Did you have to rehydrate the yeast before putting it in? Doing that too hot could kill it. Too cold and it just sits there until it warms up, usually.

Welcome Gordon :cheers:

Silly question, you added the yeast didn't you? I only ask as you didn't mention it in your post!

No bubbles, foam or anything on the top? If not, give it a stir with a sanitised soon :thumb: . If it was me, I'd go to the home brew shop ASAP and buy some more yeast to pitch

Hi and welcome, you don't want the temperature to warm, around 18-20c. have a look to see if there is any life.

Yeah did add the yeast. Would taking the lid off and having a peak do any harm? I do not want to contaminate or introduce bacteria. I can get some more yeast, but might wait a couple more days to see what happens. The temp on the thermometer is about 17 or 18 degrees. the vessel is a HomeBrew bucket with lid. I have the airlock in the hole in the lid

gordon_g said:
Yeah did add the yeast. Would taking the lid off and having a peak do any harm? I do not want to contaminate or introduce bacteria. I can get some more yeast, but might wait a couple more days to see what happens. The temp on the thermometer is about 17 or 18 degrees. the vessel is a HomeBrew bucket with lid. I have the airlock in the hole in the lid

A quick peek won't harm.

I would pitch more yeast if there is now visible activity. The longer it's left not brewing, the more likely it is to go off or have an infection. That's my two pence :thumb:

Thanks very much for the advice chaps. Will post an update, after checking when home from work tomorrow. Cheers

Hello gents,

So I checked my Norfolk Nog, and there is lots of bubbles on the surface, and a fairly strong alcoholic smell...So I am hoping all is good. I plan to move the brew into my keg on thursday - that gives about 6 days of fermenting.

Thanks for the help last night.

Cheers :cheers:

I am new to this as well but I would have thought 6 days is not going to be enough to ferment out at those temps, my Woodefords Sundew was at 22c and took about a fortnight, mind you mine is flat as a witches t*t so probably no help to you :lol:

Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for the heads up. will check it in a few days, give it possibly another week or so.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back