New Vine Co wine kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used a number of Kenridge kits over the past 3 years and always been pleased with the results, often exceptionally so. My first go with he new style is a Vineco Estate Series Australia Cabernet Shiraz, bottled in late September and tried last week. I'm hoping the rest of it improves with age but that first bottle is 'thin' for a wine that's advertised as 'heavy-bodied' wine (my wife has noticed it as well and she's not aware of the manufacturer's changes to the kits). I'm hoping they haven't ruined an otherwise good product, in an ever-increasing grab for extra profits, but if they have I'll be taking my custom elsewhere.

That's a shame Tom, especially from the Estate range. But consistent with what I found with the Classic.

But what's the alternative?

That's a shame Tom, especially from the Estate range. But consistent with what I found with the Classic.

But what's the alternative?

I've been asking myself the same question, Chris, but I'm afraid I don't have an answer. Has anyone else any ideas?

I've been asking myself the same question, Chris, but I'm afraid I don't have an answer. Has anyone else any ideas?

I've stopped trying to find a facsimile of shop bought red wine and started to think of the Beaverdale, Kenridge and CC etc. as their own "style" of drink. I enjoy it but it's not what I'd call a full bodied complex red wine (I'm sure they don't know what tannin is). Once you start getting to the price range that's getting close, the price you pay I'm afraid if that's what I'm wanting I'll just buy the odd bottle.

Last edited:
In a way I agree LED_ZEP that the complexity is missing but I think I can tell the difference between most of the various styles and the Kenridge at least used to have a bit of body where appropriate.

But as you say there comes a price point at which it's not worth the bother.

If I'm honest, I tend to enjoy a variety of beers more and it won't be a big deal if I cut back on the wine.

I haven’t tried a lot of red kits yet but found the “Wine expert classic chateau du roi” to be pretty good. It’s 8litres of juice to 23ltr although I only got 19 litre after syphoning as per instructions a few times.
It’s early days as only bottled last week, but it’s pretty strong in taste and strength anyways. Bare in mind I’m comparing it to say a wineworks premium cheaper merlot though.
It’s £54 quid a box though so £2.85 a litre by time I got racking of sediments and took a good 4 weeks of work.

I honestly don’t like racking so much, so I’m happy just sticking to the wineworks better superior range as can do that in a mangrove jack fermenter and never move apart from bottling. Have only done whites though of this range, but tempted to try a red even if do get only 11% abv. I’m happy with that as a gusler and at £38 quid and get at least 20 litres happy drinking as they say.

It's three months on and it's time for another test.

Some may think it is pointless comparing a now extinct kit with the current version, others may have the former as a reference point and find it useful.

The Kenridge Trilogy has improved into a very nice, smooth, rounded, quite dry wine with a good bit of body. Very nice. Typical of that range. Better than bottom shelf.

The Vineco Trilogy is thin, fruity, no body and I am thoroughly disappointed. My wife quite likes it but then she likes fruity whites. She described it as 'Mmmh, ice cream soda. Nice'. I despair!

I'm going to put this up against an On The House next week and I reckon I know already which will win.

By the way, I have commandeered the entire batch of Kenridge and it's all mine. Not for Phillistines!

Another week on and another wine tasting, if anyone is interested.

Tonight I put the Vineco Trilogy up against the On The House Shiraz.

I wasn't going to comment on the taste difference but did note that the Trilogy tastes much more like a Bordeaux (which it should) when up against a Shiraz.

As far as body and overall quality are concerned, the Vineco has a bit more body, a bit more colour and I would say a slightly more interesting character.

I have to say this goes to show the need, at least for me, to do a side by side taste test.

Last week I was quite shocked how inferior the Vineco was to a Kenridge.

So what about value for money? Not much in it I would say based on £42 vs £49.50. Other than that it's probably more about personal preference.

Another week on and this will be my last tasting of the Vineco Trilogy for some months.

I wanted to compare it with a Beaverdale to get another impression of how the new Vineco kits match up.

The new Beaverdale Vieux Chateau (6L) is thinner, lighter coloured compared to the 8L Vineco, but not by anything like as much as the old Kendrige.

Tastewise, they are quite different so hard to compare but I have always liked the Beaverdale Vieux and the new one is equally pleasant.

In summary, the new Vineco 8L kits are not a patch on the old Kendrige 10L but a little better than the new 6L.

I have Winexpert Classics on the go and I won't be buying another Vineco until I try them.

I will be buying more Beaverdale but at the same time drinking less wine and more beer as the value has shifted.

Just my opinion of course.

Another week on and this will be my last tasting of the Vineco Trilogy for some months.

I wanted to compare it with a Beaverdale to get another impression of how the new Vineco kits match up.

The new Beaverdale Vieux Chateau (6L) is thinner, lighter coloured compared to the 8L Vineco, but not by anything like as much as the old Kendrige.

Taste wise, they are quite different so hard to compare but I have always liked the Beaverdale Vieux and the new one is equally pleasant.

In summary, the new Vineco 8L kits are not a patch on the old Kendrige 10L but a little better than the new 6L.

I have Winexpert Classics on the go and I won't be buying another Vineco until I try them.

I will be buying more Beaverdale but at the same time drinking less wine and more beer as the value has shifted.

Just my opinion of course.
@chris-s I have just racked off a vinco Sangiovese which at this stage is unfair but is just a thin chianti. Then started a Winexpert classic Tempranillo, 8l kit reasonably syrupy, which from a juice flavour perspective will give the KenRidge Tempranillo a run for its money and price comparable. Heres hoping it turns out that way

Vineco Sangiovese update and pleasantly surprised. Body and colour developed, good texture and acidity, not just a sweet juice, clings to the glass. A photo of a glass of red wine doesn't cut it like a pint.
Got a Renaissance- Rosso D’Alvola delivered today off Spitting feathers. A 16l kit so not a direct comparison but will be interesting to see how that comes out.

Have been away from home since end of lockdown so looking forward to trying the Tempranillo when I get back in a few days.

Looking forward to it.

Will post when I get a chance.

Got a chance to bottle the Tempranillo today so had to try it. Bear in mind it has had longer than usual in the secondary.

I am quite pleased by the body and a little complexity and it certainly tastes good. But not exactly what I was expecting from a Tempranillo.

I think I should wait to comment more until I can compare with a shop bought Tempranillo and various other kit bottles.

How did you find the Tempranillo?

@The-Engineer-That-Brews Sorry can offer no advice on white wine.

@chris-s tempranillo is the base of rioja (being supplemented with Grenache and merlot) and widely grown across Spain. I understood that tempranillo wines were light in colour because the skins are thin. My Winexpert tempranillo has deep colour so .... really enjoyable to drink though.

My Winexpert tempranillo has deep colour so .... really enjoyable to drink though.

Completely agree.

For me it should be lighter in colour and body and dare I say a little earthy and dry too?

I was wondering if my recollection was playing tricks.

But as you say, very nice nevertheless.

Back