New Winemaker from the Wirral

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellafella

Reaction score
Hi there

Got into this last October and have been using a variety of gallon kits from Youngs & Beaverdale, first three were okish if a little ropey but since then appear to have got the patience thing sorted a bit better and the finished wine is tasting not half bad. Even been able to give a couple of bottles away and not had any casualties or returned wine!!

Have been lurking on these forums for about a month and thought it was about time to come and say hello and also thanks for all the useful information I have read.

Currently conditioning a Beaverdale Chardonnay Semillon, fermenting Beaverdeale Chardonnay and a reduced price premium australian Chardonnay (£15 reduced from £25).

Yesterday started a WOW and a Strawberry Ribena to see what all the fuss is about!!

Did try a few batches of TC late last year but they came out super dry and rather rough, not thrown them and will open one up soon to see if anything has improved.

Looking to move up to 30 bottle kits soon but just waiting for a bit of brewing space on the kitchen sideboard!!

welcome to the mad house

all the information you need is here, its where i started

i seem to live here these days

Hello and welcome!

yellafella said:
Did try a few batches of TC late last year but they came out super dry and rather rough, not thrown them and will open one up soon to see if anything has improved.

For what your TC is concerned, it might get smoother after a few months (also depends what finings you used and at what temperature is maturing). If you have fermented all the way to 1.000 or less then it will not get less dry. There are a couple of ptions to make it sweet which depend on whether you want your cider sparkling or flat.

alphacento said:
Hello and welcome!

yellafella said:

For what your TC is concerned, it might get smoother after a few months (also depends what finings you used and at what temperature is maturing). If you have fermented all the way to 1.000 or less then it will not get less dry. There are a couple of ptions to make it sweet which depend on whether you want your cider sparkling or flat.

The TC has just been in plastic bottles under the stairs, am a bit scared to try it if I am honest!! It was rough to start with and I used 2L bottles so once opened will either have to drink it all or throw it away!!!

Back