Newbie cider help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnie

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I don't normally come on this part of the forum. I've been brewing AG ales for about 2 years now and want to have a go at cider using the apples from my garden, they normally end up on my compost heap. I don't know a lot about cider making so forgive me if my questions are a bit stupid.
So to my questions.

A lot of the apples have holes, bruised bits and are a bit grubby ect. Are these ok to use? AG brewing seems to be a bit more rigorous with sterilisation, but the posts and videos about cider making seem a lot more slap dash, just squeeze out the juice and pitch the yeast (sorry if this upsets the cider makers on here, but this is what I've seen on the net). Does the acid in the juice kill off the nasties?

I've also got some pears, probably about a 5 gal bin full. Can I add these to the pulp?

Should I sterilise the juice with a Campden tablet before pitching the yeast and if so how many per gallon?

What yeast should I use, wine or cider?

Hoping to get out at the weekend and pick the rest of the apples. I've borrowed an 18 L spindle press from my in laws who make wine. I don't want to cock up so any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks J

Hi Johnie

Here's my quick guide...

1) Collect apples. Ensure there is a variety as that will improve the flavour.

2) Wash the apples in a sterilising solution.

3) Rinse the apples in clean water

4) Quarter the apples (no need to de-core) and throw away any bruised bits or insects!

5) Mulch the apples. We're using a garden shredder, but you can also use a scratter http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk..._Bucket.html?gclid=CKK5h73D1LkCFcVY3godmD4Anw

6) Press the apples with a cider press (will need muslin bags / cheese cloth)

7) As the juice collects add 1 crushed camden tablet per gallon of juice (stops oxidisation and kills the natural yeast)

8) 24 hours later add champagne yeast

9) Store in Demijohns (only fill to the shoulder) with an airlock. Leave for 2-3 weeks

10) Rack the cider into clean demijohns (gets the juice off the lees, which stops off flavours forming) and top up with apple juice to the neck of the demijohn (leaving about 2 inches of air in the neck). Supermarket apple juice is ok so long as it's not got any preservatives (alternatively you can freeze some of the juice from the apples you pressed).

11) Leave for 4-6 months to mature. Some people will rack again once or twice in this period.

12) Bottle (fizzy pop bottles are ok) - adding a tea spoon of sugar per litre.

13) Leave until June-ish before drinking.

Everything that comes into contact with the apples/juice/cider needs sterilising.

Thanks C Muzz. Your list is a great help. What sort of sterilising solution do you wash the apples in ? Didn't know it took so long to mature. Was expecting to drink in a few months time. Better get some more beer on the go then.
J

I use a little of VWP for steriliser.

I forgot to mention, if you want it nice and clear then adding a teaspoon of pectalose at the same as the camden tablet is a good idea.

Also, if your apples are mainly eaters/cookers then you might also want to add a teaspoon of tannin per gallon too (in the same way you would for turbo cider).

You probably could drink it sooner, but wouldn't recommend it before xmas.

A

Can't argue with anything C Muzz said except I'd have to crack one open a bit sooner than 4-6 months, just in case it was already good.

Latest posts

Back